Notifications
Clear all

Gibson - anti-Left Handed? - UPDATED - True and Confirmed

43 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

I guess I was lucky to get my J-45 last October - at the time I was told they only make two a year and one had been ordered 4 months before I placed my order. While the market isn't that big for lefties, there are other companies that do support those of us that do play lefhanded. My original guitar (circa 1973) was re-strung so I could play. I tried to play as a righty but it was too uncomfortable. After three months I still couldn't form chords properly

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Looks to me like a good opportunity for aftermarket customizers of leftie Gibbies. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@futile)
Eminent Member

Something I learned in my biomedical imaging class:

Since we started using ultrasound on pregnant women, the number of left-handed males has INCREASED. Watch out Gibson.

ReplyQuote
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

Either that, or the number of lefties we brainwash to become righties instead has decreased in the same timeframe.

:D

-- Voidious

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Since we started using ultrasound on pregnant women, the number of left-handed males has INCREASED. Watch out Gibson.

Did I read this wrong or are you saying there seems to be a link between the use of ultrasound and left-handedness?

If so, that's pretty interesting.

ReplyQuote
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

Did I read this wrong or are you saying there seems to be a link between the use of ultrasound and left-handedness?

While my last comment was tongue-in-cheek, I do think many stats like that are far from scientific. You need a lot more control over all variables to really be able to draw such conclusions. But I don't have the evidence in front of me, maybe there is enough data to make the link...

-- Voidious

ReplyQuote
(@futile)
Eminent Member

While my last comment was tongue-in-cheek, I do think many stats like that are far from scientific. You need a lot more control over all variables to really be able to draw such conclusions. But I don't have the evidence in front of me, maybe there is enough data to make the link...

This is why I was pretty careful to note my source. I can't guarantee it, but my professor (who specializes in Ultrasound research) told us this bit of information. I'm not going to say it's irrefutable, or that I can actually find this study, but he did suggest that there is a link between the use of U/S and left-handedness in males.

ReplyQuote
(@futile)
Eminent Member

Okay, actually, I did find the research.

This is from a Scholarly Journal: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TBN-4KPP2CG-1&_user=94608&_coverDate=04%2F30%2F2007&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000007138&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=94608&md5=08d25e0d6f0899fb1a3ab4f6d035f8e8

And from the FDA: http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2004/104_images.html

(There is only a small line in there: "Danica Marinac-Dabic, M.D., an epidemiologist in the FDA's Office of Surveillance and Biometrics, says that the most consistent finding in the recent literature is a potential association between prenatal ultrasound exposure and subsequent left-handedness, especially among boys."

..Wow, I am a geek. :?

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

interesting, but like previously mentioned, a huge study group across all possible variables would have to be tested.
it really could just be a co-inkydink and have nothing to do with US, but to be safe don't let AL Gore get wind of this or i'm sure it will be blamed on global warming... :roll:

another more scary bit of info, everyone who has ever eaten carrots has died :lol:
like Sam C. said ""There are lies, damn lies, and statistics."
"

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I have noted that I did not start losing my hair until after I was married.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@underivy)

The first thing that comes to mind upon reading that is this:

Correlation does not imply causation

It used to be common practice for elementary school teachers to force left-handed students to do things like writing with their right hand, effectively "brainwashing" them (to use Voidius's term :p) to be right-handed. This practice has fallen out of favor in more recent years. I've not read the research on this topic (just the two articles that you posted), so I'm not qualified to comment on it in any depth, of course. It's just the first thing that popped in my head when I read that. :)

EDIT:

Sorry for the thread derail....

Getting back on topic....I suppose that if it's true that Gibson isn't making lefty instruments anymore, they are probably not anti-left handed. It seems more likely to me that they would be anti-not-making-money. :p They wouldn't do something like that out of spite, but it's possible that they might do it if it helps their bottom line.

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

The first thing that comes to mind upon reading that is this:

Correlation does not imply causation

It used to be common practice for elementary school teachers to force left-handed students to do things like writing with their right hand, effectively "brainwashing" them (to use Voidius's term :p) to be right-handed. This practice has fallen out of favor in more recent years. I've not read the research on this topic (just the two articles that you posted), so I'm not qualified to comment on it in any depth, of course. It's just the first thing that popped in my head when I read that. :)

EDIT:

Sorry for the thread derail....

Getting back on topic....I suppose that if it's true that Gibson isn't making lefty instruments anymore, they are probably not anti-left handed. It seems more likely to me that they would be anti-not-making-money. :p They wouldn't do something like that out of spite, but it's possible that they might do it if it helps their bottom line.

Good point, except that just because they made a business decision does not mean that it is the right decision (one that results in the most profits). Every decision a company makes usually has consideration as to how it affects their bottom line. It certainly doesn't mean that every decision made (even by the mighty Gibson Inc) results in more sales or profits.

Look at how many left-handed guitarists you see now compared to 20 to 30 years ago. It is certainly a growing market.

By the way, my grandfather was one of those left-handers who was forced by his teacher to write with his right hand. We have come a long way since then.

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Lol, my grandfather was always behind me to write 'right-handed' and to eat from right hand. But the day he read about Paul McCartney, Hendrix and some others, he has softened up a little. However, playing lefty in a swarm of right people is just unique experience. People always expect something special from us and most of the time we deliever them. :wink:

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3