Clear all

Gibson L6-S What's it Worth?

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys, please help me figure out how much this guitar is worth and in what year it was made. It's my cousin's guitar but he isn't selling it. I just wanna know what its worth. I did a check on eBay and the range was pretty wide, $500 to $1400. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gibson L6-S.

Body

Headstock

Serial Number

PS. Its in great shape. The chrome has wore off of the tuners and some of the screws has rust on them. Also there are signs or wear on the body, DUH. Anyway nothing else wrong with it.

Thanks!

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

From the Guitar Dater Project site
Your guitar was made at the
Kalamazoo or Nashville Plant , USA
approximately in: 1975

There is a Uk site http://www.musicground.com/ that has a value my guitar section, could be useful?

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

A friend of mine, who used to live next door, and who I performed alot with has one. Well it's her dads but nobody really uses it, it just sits there. Too bad really.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Carlos Santana used one for a very short time back in the 70s, I 'think' just around the time he was also using those double-cut Yamahas - before he went to PRSs anyhow.

A friend of mine also bought one new back in the 70s; I don't know if he still has it. It was a maple body with maple fretboard. Really a nice guitar. The high prices you see them listed for are probably from the guys going for the vintage appeal, plus banking on the Gibson name and the fact that Santa used that model. The low end prices are probably from the people who really can't get rid of the thing.

The reason why is that though it's a Gibson, it doesn't really have the Gibson sound. It has that Varitone switch that gives all these presets (sort of like the Lucile), but...I think, especially because of the one my friend had with the maple fretboard and the Varitone, that Gibson was trying for the Strat sound. It was very bright sounding, almost sterile unless you used a ton of distortion. I think it was also one of Gibson's first 24 fret guitars, and that to some people, added to the difference in sound, with the neck pup moved back a bit.

I'd get one if it was left-handed, just to have a different sort of tonality, but I wouldn't personally want to pay over a thousand for it.

That's just me though. :)

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

I had one for a VERY short time in the early 90's.
Just a deal I picked up from someone short of cash.

Maple/maple probably just like your friend's, DemoEtc.

And, Like you said - very sterile sounding and feeling.
A strange guitar. Unique I guess would be good.

Have no idea what they're worth.

I think the one pictured here is much nicer looking than the one I had.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. You've been a big help. I think I have a better understanding of the value of this guitar now.

:D

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@jtull55)

I have an L6-S that I have owned for years and rarely play. One thing I noticed when look at other similar models there are differences; the headstock is maple all around, no black face. The Gibson logo is missing, there is no serial # on the headstock. I bought this guitar in the late 70's used at a reputable music store. Any info is appreciated. BTW this guitar is not for sale.

Mark

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Vintage Guitar has a nice article on these guitars: http://www.vintageguitar.com/brands/details.asp?ID=52

I did some checking around on vintage sites, and from what I'm seeing to a collector, your guitar is worth in the $1000 - $1200 range if purchased from a vintage reseller with a quality on-site luthier and all the services that implies.

So drop 25% if just going the e-bay route and you have a fair price.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote