Skip to content
Gibson Les Paul - M...

Notifications
Clear all

Gibson Les Paul - Manufacturing Error or Normal?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ok... I was at our favorite store a month ago looking at Gibson Les Paul Classic guitars. I have been toying with the idea of picking one up (after selling some gear) but I'm not sure...

Anyway... as I was a playing a gold top I noticed that in the cutaway there was a place where the binding stopped and the maple cap could be seen for about 1/8 of an inch, and then the mahogany started. Seemed odd to me. Almost like the binding was too shallow to cover the entire cap in that one place. You couldn't feel a ridge or anything, just saw a sliver of the cap.

Ok, so I put that one back and grab a cherryburst. Same thing.

I went and looked at ALL the Classics and Standards and they had the same thing. The Customs and Supremes did not. Nor did the Epis that I looked at (three).

Has anyone ever seen this? Is this a design flaw? Manufacturing flaw?

I looked at my buddy's Les Paul Classic from 1995 and his did NOT have this issue. Just curious.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@terminator)
Reputable Member

Thats a common issue with the cheaper (yeh, right!) Gibsons. A lot of them have flaws in the binding. I suppose you clould live with that... But it if it sounds nice, dude! Youll get used to the flaws, and youd stop noticing!

Regards,
Leo

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote