Clear all

gibson SG opinion

16 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Anyone want to chime in their opinion of the current gibby sg's. Im thinking about getting a standard or 61 reissue. This will be my first guitar with humbuckers. I normally play a strat w/ stock single coils.

Is the SG a great guitar or should I just go for a LP. I guess Im thinking about buying one cause I love Cream / Derek Trucks Band.

I live in an area where I cannot go to a store and try a bunch of dif. gibsons. I have played an SG and LP in the past, but not for more than a couple minutes. Couldn't really get a real indication of how they played other than the scale length was smaller than my strat.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

*Drooooooooooooooooooooooooool*

I want!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Can't say much about current Gibson SG quality since I don't play them on a daily basis. ;) But I myself do prefer SG over LP, it's a bit top-heavy when standing but who cares. Might have something to do with me feeling akward with arch-tops...

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

For me, it's SG over LP any day, but YMMV.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Gibsons are great guitars, maybe a little overpriced. Still, I wouldn't let that stop you.

The LP probably has better sustain, but the SG is much easier to play at the high frets.

Both have great tone.

Heh, you like the SG, I say go for it! 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Never was an SG man, to me it looks like something BatMan would play 8) 8)

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I would love getting a gibson sg or lp now.

A couple of suggestions, if you want to get sg, but you don't want to get a second mortgage to buy one, I say you try out the epi elitist sg, it's really good uality and beats many of the lower priced/end gibson sg's out there

If you choose to stay with gibson, i say you go for the 61' re issue, if you didnt know, thats the sg harrison and lennon played towards the late 60s, and it really is an excellent guitar

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Is there a sound difference between the SG and the <sort of> equal LP?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

The sounds ARE similar, but a little different. The LP sounds warmer and fatter I feel.

The great advantage over the LP that the SG has is the ease at playing on higher frets. It's got a great double cutaway. You could get a doublecutaway les paul, but it's still not as easy as the SG.

That's my one regret with the Gibson LP, and my next guitar purchase will probably be a gibson SG.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

**double post, my mistake. Feel free to delete mods, I will have no qualms. ;)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

SG for sure... 8) 8) 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the tips guys, I ordered the 61 reissue today...time to learn clapton's spoonfull solo :)

btw: have any of you ever bought guitars from this place called e.m shorts? I heard them recommended on the fender forum and man they have some good prices. Way under guitar center and the local shop.

- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

one word: LOTS OF PICTURES

I have been in love with the sg 61' for some time now, and can't wait until I get my hands on one.

Tell us how it plays and all that stuff

Btw, how much did you pick it up for?

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Congrats on the new SG! An SG will someday grace my collection. Tell us what you think, and yes, pics! :)

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

they quoted the reissue at $1260 and the standard at $900

Guitar Center had the reissue at $1500 + sales tax for me...no thanks!

- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2