Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Gibson SG "Special" . . . compared to an Epi LP?

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Although my searches didn't throw anything up, I expect this question has been done to death, so my apologies before I start! :oops:

I currently have an Epi LP standard, which I am very pleased with, but have been hankering after an SG for a while. For the price, I am quite tempted to go for a Gibson rather than a copy (certainly, the price difference is a lot less than it is for a Les Paul comparison between the two!). I have recently spotted quite a few new "Gibson SG Special"'s for seemingly low prices, circa £450 (about $800). My question is, while I don't have the luxury of a good guitar shop on hand to play with the guitars (although I am going to a national show in November), what is the difference apart from the shape, between a Les Paul and an SG? I get the impression that the neck is to all intents and purposes the same, the pickups generally seem similar, the accessibility up the neck is obviously better (although I have no issues even up into the highest frets on my LP) . . . other than that? I also haven't quite fathomed out what the "Special" bit means for the SG. :?

Thanks in advance for any replies.:)

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline