Clear all

Gibson vs Fender?

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Reactions
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm still a newbie as far as guitars go, but reading alot and practicing every day. I'm trying to learn as much as I can for when I do upgrade to a real guitar and not a starter kit. I really like the sound of a Gibson Les Paul playing metal/rock. I also like Country. Would a Fender be better suited for playing both types of music as opposed to a Les Paul? Also I've seen a few posts about Fender Strats with a Humbucker pup mixed in with the single coils. How does that sound? I also like the shape of the Les Paul more, but again I want to be able to play both types of music.

(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member

The one piece of advice you will get around here when it comes to what guitars or equipment to buy is... try them out. Go to your local guitar store and play them both. I have a Fender and a LP clone and I love them both. The playability of the LP is great the shorter scale length really makes it fun to play on. But the Strat is also great, beutiful sounds, flexible playability.

One thing to consider is look at a fat strat (or if that phat strat) with is a strat with a humbucker in the bridge position (at least the bridge is where I usually see them)l I used to have a Squire strat before I got my American and I had replaced the original pickups with a prewired set with a humbucker. Sounded great. The humbucker give you that wonderful beefy tone while the single coils create that great classic fender sounds.

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Actually I have a Squire Strat now, and have considered doing that, but wasn't sure how the results would sound. Did you replace just one? If so which one?

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

fender vs. gibson to me is like apples vs. oranges. The LP is a great guitar but starts at about 2K. the Strat is also a great guitar and starts at about $600 for an american Strat. I have a strat, but as soon as i win the lottery i will buy a LP :lol: :lol: but as cmoewes says, go try them out, just remember, its against the law in 45/50 states to play stairway to heaven in a music store :lol: :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

The Strat is by far the more versatile guitar. With 5 pickup selections you can get just about any sound. The Strats with Humbuckers sound great and aren't as noisy as single coils.

But then again, nothing sounds like a Les Paul. They do have a beautiful warm tone and sound awesome for heavy music.

There are other great guitars. I tried a Schecter PT Standard at Guitar Center once. It had the best neck I've ever felt. Wide, and super low action without a trace of buzz. It had a great metal tone, but turn off distortion and pull out the coil taps and it sounded like the best Fender Tele twang you ever heard. Very reasonable price too. So like the others said, check out a few guitars and see what you like.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@david_mohn)
Trusted Member

You know you might want to check out some other brands as well.

I have a Yamaha AES 500. It has two humbuckers and coil tap. I can get just about any sound out of it that I want. I have several electrics, but I almost always go back to the yamaha to record.

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

i still stand by my nashville tele as one of the most versatile guitars i have ever played

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member

Actually I have a Squire Strat now, and have considered doing that, but wasn't sure how the results would sound. Did you replace just one? If so which one?

When I did it I just bought a replacement pre-wired pickguard (on a strat all the electronics are attached to the pickguard). It was pretty simple, the only connections that needed to be made were the 2 leads going to the plug in and the lead that goes to the body of the bridge.

Here's one source of prewired pickguards. I have bought stuff from these people before, but please do your own research before buying anything.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41428&item=3764711403&tc=photo

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

hmm...what kinda sound did it give you?

ReplyQuote