Clear all

Gime Some Music!!

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, first of all im kind of new to this. So i hope i can make as much sense as possible. Ive been playing accoustic guitar for a little over a year now with ongoing lessons. I have been progressing pretty well but there is one thing i lack. A musical library, Im not very apt at naming musicians and/or song/names, So usualy i just try to listen around to something that catches my ear, and ask around to figure out what the song is. Im aiming towards classical, pop/rock, and would like to know some sturdy bands that i could pick up.

As of now im familiar with Zepplin, Clapton, Beatles, Skyn and a little bit of the Eagles
If anybody is aware of any more :D i would appreciate it.

I would like to know some good classical music as well (other than Minuet, and Bach Bouree that my teacher has already familiarized me with)

So in short i need to know some more rock/pop artists and some melodical classical scores.
Thanks! :wink:

Danada

"We're officially on welfare. Come on, kids. Help me scatter garbage on the front lawn."

(@alangreen)

Hiya, and welcome to Guitarnoise,

The best classical guitar resource on the web

Iceland Guitar School

About 2,000 pages of sheet music, freely downloadable. Start with the Fernando Sor studies in the "Collections" section, or the four volumes of "Guitar Moments" if the Sor studies don't make any sense

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Sheesh!! Thats a mouthful :D , thanks for the link, A bit confusing, but that'll keep me busy for awhile. :shock:

Would also like to be familiarized with some more rock/pop artists
Floyd good? :)

Thanks Alan!

Danada

"We're officially on welfare. Come on, kids. Help me scatter garbage on the front lawn."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

there is so much music out there an so readily accessible with the internet now.

if you wasnt rock think about what decade and then search.

I came out oif the sixties so I listened to the english invasion bands; stones, beatles, Yardbirds.
seventies there was a cross breed of rock and country. I listened to Neil Young, the Byrds, Flying Burrito Bros.. but then there was early metal coming. like Black Sabbath.
the seventies/eighties had the hair bands, reggae, punk.
I get alot of tips for music by listening to the local college radio stations. alot of them are on computer streamiong now too. search there.
one thing leads to another.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

Sheesh!! Thats a mouthful :D , thanks for the link, A bit confusing, but that'll keep me busy for awhile. :shock:

Would also like to be familiarized with some more rock/pop artists
Floyd good? :)

Thanks Alan!

Danada

Join something like Pandora or Last.fm. These are services that try to find new artists you might like based on what you're already listening to. Pandora does this by looking at the characteristics of the tracks you're listening to whereas Last.fm looks at what you're listening to, then finds other people listening to similar artists and tells you what else they are listening to.

Both can help you immensely.

Oktay

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

For classical guitar music, check out Francisco Tarrega, Andres Segovia, Julian Bream, and Christoper Parkening. Specific songs I like (which you should be able to find recordings of by the artists I listed) are Asturias, Recuerdos de la Alhambra, Prelude no 3 in A minor, The romantic guitar, Romanza, Capricho Arabe, Malaguena, and many more.

For strictly acoutic tunes, some of which have a pop flavour to them, I'd say blind mellon, dashboard confessional, elliot smith, iron and wine, jack johnson, Lifehouse, Nick Drake (a bit of a differnet sound but most people like him), and the tragically hip.

As for classic rock, the only one that comes to mind that you didn't list (if it even falls in that category) is pink floyd.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

Listen to some classic rock radio stations, you'll hear a song, want to go play it, and by doing that you will find other songs by the same artist, and you will say to yourself "OH yeah! I've heard this before". Soon you will know a lot more than you thought you could.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member

For acoustic stuff, try listening to live music at the Live Music Archive: http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php

Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson, and Howie Day all have stuff on here. The nice thing about live shows is they are usually less 'produced' and you can hear how the songs sound acoustically.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Asturias, Recuerdos de la Alhambra, Prelude no 3 in A minor, The romantic guitar, Romanza, Capricho Arabe, Malaguena, and many more.

Careful with some of these - the Minuet you mention and many Malaguenas (Malaguena is the name of a dance not a song title) are on the Beginners' syllabus, the Em Bourree you mention is a Grade 5 or 6 piece depending on the examining college, Romanza is Grade 5, and Asturias, RDLA, and Capricho Arabe are above Grade 8

For the other stuff you're looking at, you can get great guitar results out of:

Classic Rock - Queen, Deep Purple, David Bowie, Free, Bon Jovi, Led Zep, Hendrix, Guns n Roses.

Balls-to-the-wall punk - Sex Pistols, The Damned, The Clash, Siouxsie and The Banshees. (Sorry Greenday, but you can't play to 65,000 people on a purpose built stage at Milton Keynes and remain true to the spirit)

Something not boring or ordinary that the radio stations don't understand - Rush, Muse

Non-rock stuff - The Beatles (actually quite heavy in places), Santana, Joe Satriani, early Pretenders, classic Blondie

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

It's not all about listening to what you can actually play either. I noticed when I bought a guitar that I wasn't listening to nearly enough music as I should so bought a portable player right away and I am sampling all kinds of stuff right now and have found a lot of bands and solo artists old and new that I might never be able to play but they still provide tons of inspiration. (and i can't believe i said that. Music has never been a huge part of my life. I guess things change :P)

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ahh...what a wonderful community, where ones questions can be answered so intently :D

All so helpful :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the replies, i will take heed.

much obliged ...and im off!

Danada

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

(Malaguena is the name of a dance not a song title)

I did not know that. I didn't realize he was looking for songs to play so much as songs to listen to for influence and just to enjoy. Either way I figure trying some of the techniques in the grade 8+ songs are good for playing as well, and some of those classical pieces are a little easier.

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

if your looking for some inspiration try kansas, emerson lake and palmer, or the moody blues. These bands do a good job Imo of mixing classicle music with the style of thier own respective time periods.

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

god, i love andreas sergovia

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

god, i love andreas sergovia

I wish I was alive when he was...would've loved to have seen him live.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2