Clear all

Good all around practice book with technique and note readin

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, long time no talk everyone. Hoping to get back this summer, the last couple months have been crazy and havnt been able to get on and read the forums. anyway enough of my chatter. Does nyone know any really good... all around practice books? somehting with just about everything in it but not too big or expensive? would be awesome to find one, Thanks!

Thanks
Bstguitarist
KB1LQC

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Well, I can't think of a book, but I can think of a great resource with just what you're looking for, and its free! https://www.guitarnoise.com

I should be getting some brownie points for this... :lol:

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@voodoochildtwj)
Trusted Member

Alfred's Basic Guitar Method there are 8 books to choose from based on your skill level

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You can't make a book with "just about everything in it" that's "not too big".

The Mel Bay Complete Method is good, but over 300 pages. The Berklee Series is good, but the 3 volumes run over 300 pages. And I wouldn't say that either one has 'just about everything' in it... there are lots of techniques that aren't covered by either one.

So it depends on what you're looking for. You're saying 'practice books'... if you want:

Songs to practice - get an anthology book in the style you like. There are dozens out there; they'll run 200-300 pages as a rule, and cost $20-30.

Sight reading - pick up a 'fake book' for practice. That'll have 400-1200 songs with melody lines. They run $20-50.

Technical drills - I like Filiberto's "Guitar Technic", but I think it's out of print. Another guitar teacher recently showed me a copy of "Guitar Fitness" by Josquin des Pres that looked decent, but I haven't played through it. Other folks swear by the Stetina books, but I haven't used those.

Chord voicing - you can't do any better than Ted Greene's "Chord Chemistry". It's about $13.

Techniques - National Guitar Workshop's "Guitar Technique Encyclopedia" is about $20. Roughly 225 pages shows the basics of many techniques, but not in context of phrasing.

Guitar playing in general - Mel Bay series, or Berklee series. Bay's in 7 volumes, about $7 each; Berklee is 3 volumes, about $20-25 each. Both come in complete sets too - but most students will be better off with individual books (it'll take you long enough to master one that you'll have worn out the binding; if you use the complete version, the book will be falling apart before you're halfway through!)

A particular style - every style has great books: blues, jazz, metal, fingerstyle, bluegrass, funk, salsa, whatever - talk to people who play what you want to learn and get their recommendations. Also, find out what the 'standards' are in what you want to play - every blues band will do "Sweet Home Chicago", every bluegrass band will do "Rolling in My Sweet Baby's Arms", etc. - one of the best ways to improve is to play with other people, so if you learn the standard tunes, you'll find it easier to play with others.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@bstguitarist)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks< ill have to chck them out. SHould have been more descriptive i.e. i ment more of techique... so Ill look at the one you guys suggested. I made the mistake of buying the Guitar Grimoir scales book in Dec. 04 and that book personally was really ahrd to use because it shows the scales and how to play them but it gives the patters not the cheetmusic. It also doesnt really explain HOW they are making each individual scale so it leaves you in the dark somewhat. So ill definitly look through the whole book lol. Thanks !

bstguitarist
KB1LQC

No matter what anyone says, these four men were the Innovators! of modern Rock & Roll!

Morse Code... Music on it's own

ReplyQuote