Clear all

Good price range for a nice acoustic?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I currently play mainly electric, but am interested in getting an acoustic now that I've a bit of extra money. I currently have a cheap acoustic that doesnt sound the greatest, so I'd like to get a new one thats pretty nice. About what price range do acoustics start to be considered nice? I don't know much about acoustics, but i do know a solid top is good and improves as it ages if humidified right. Should I look into getting one of those? I plan to get in to my music shop soon to try some, I just wanta know in what price range to start looking. I've currently got about $400, but I've no problem saving up more, especially with christmas and my birthday soming up soon. Thanks.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

What is your upper price range number?

What style do you want to play? Fingerpicking, bluegrass, singer-songwriter?

Where in the world are you?

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

lol, lets see, lemme find myself. Well I don't plan on doin finger picking, not for a while anyway, so with a pick. Singer-songwriter possibly. I plan to play songs like Pink Floyds Wish you were here and the like, so plenty of chords. I also plan to use it to strengthen my fingers so It'll help my electric playing. Upper price range, not totally sure, but certainly nothing above 700. I'd prefer around 500 though. I plan to have this guitar for a long time, so I don't wanna skimp now though, so If you guys think 500 isn't gonna get me a guitar I'll be happy with for a while, let me know. Thanks.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

My feeling on the subject is that you really start to hit the high quality stuff at around 600 USD, depending on the brand. I'd be fine playing for long periods of time and playing for smaller crowds using anything in that range from Taylor, Takamine or Ibanez (who I think makes a very underrated acoustic).

Also, when price is a big issue, don't discount the possiblity of a used guitar. If you can find something less than 5 years old, you should be able to get a pretty hefty cut off the top on the price, and generally you're not going to see a lot of wear.

Happy shopping!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I decided to look around a bit on the net before I get into my shop. I've read several good things about the Taylor 110 dreadnought. It goes for about 550, anyone have any expierence with these?

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

In that range you can't go wrong with the Taylor.

I'd also look at the Tacoma line.

You might also want to take a look at the Washburn WD52 or WD56 rarewoods guitar. All solid wood and I played a couple at the local guitar center and was pleasantly surprised.

Then again, my favorite bargain guitar is the Breedlove Atlas AD25SR plus.

You can see it here

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the great suggestions, look forward to trying all these out! Does a cutaway affect the tone of a guitar at all, if so, in a bad way? Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

I will continue to plug this guitar cos I love it SOOOOO much and it was relatively cheap...ready? drum roll please...

MARTIN DX1

$460

Solid wood top, the rest is compressed laminate. But who really cares what it's made of, it was the best sounding guitar under $1000 in guitar center the day i bought it, at least in my opinion. and it's built like a tank. I think if I had 200000 guitars, i'd keep going back to my DX1 for jamming on the beach or playing at the local coffeeshop. So check it out!!

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@snooker)

I just picked up a Martin...high end D-41. I know it's out of that price range, but I played the Taylors and discovered some cool stuff.

Taylors are great, but the Martin's blew them away on the bass end. It just sounded better. When I narrowed it down between two I had someone in the shop play one of each with my eyes closed and listened to him play the same song over and over.

They both played great, they both looked great, and I went with the one that sounded better. Good luck shopping.

ReplyQuote