Clear all

Grade me please.

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@kaidao)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys...well...i just wanted to see how i was doing in other people's opinions as to where my skill level should be. I started out with a acoustic guitar and used that for the first 2 months of practice..but in those '2 months' my teacher was not there for about 2 times a month (i have 1 class a week)...so i did not learn very much. Then i changed to a electric guitar...and also changed to a new teacher. Well i've been to about 4 lessons with him, and the hardest song (i think) that i can play fluently is More. I'm not sure who it's produced by..but the chords are like this

Disco

C - Am - Dm - G7
C - Am - Dm - G7
C - Am - Dm - G7
C - Am - Dm - E7
Am - Am7 - Am7 - Am6
Dm/F - D7/F# - Dm - G7
Dm - Dm - G7 - C

Well..if anyone knows this song..please tell me how i'm doing on my 'skills' part.

(> ^_^)>8 I have your balls. They're mine now.

(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Nobody can tell you how your coming along without looking at your fingers... !

Secondly, you dont need anyone to tell you if you're doing good or not...

Now, I'm only giving my opinion here:

Quit taking lessons for about 3 monthes, just work on you're own things, teach yourself techniques, and play around with the things you know. You've been taking lessons long enough to know how to play. Let your skill grow with your own lessons. Conecentrate on what you feel you are not doing right, and fix it your own way!

.......... thats what I do would do if I knew what I know now, when I was younger.

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Kaidow (sorry if that's wrong)

More important, how do YOU think you are doing? With that song, are the chord changes really fluent and do you hit them right each time? Is your timing good? (if you don't know, go get a metronome and play along with that at a nice steady tempo, say 100bpm).

How much practice time do you allocate a night / week.

I wouldn't give up on your teacher yet, but one question. Do you, and therefore your teacher, know what you want to get out of this?

That's important, tell your teacher exactly what your goals are.

It really doesn't matter what anyone on here thinks of your playing at all.

Enjoy it!

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Naw, I give ya a C. Keep it up.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Quit taking lessons for about 3 monthes, just work on you're own things, teach yourself techniques, and play around with the things you know. You've been taking lessons long enough to know how to play. Let your skill grow with your own lessons. Conecentrate on what you feel you are not doing right, and fix it your own way!

I tend to disagree, if you have someone who can teach you and you have the resources to pay them right, lessons can help you progress much faster than not. You can avoid a lot of pitfalls, dodge a lot of technique problems if you correct them early, etc. And it's not like lessons ever hurt anyone. You want to learn more? So use other resources in addition to your lesson material, no harm done. You can even take that material to your teacher, often times they'll be able to help you work through it.

I say if opportunity knocks, let it in! Switch teachers until you get one that's working with you and helping you progress consistently, but no matter what, don't forget the most important factor in the equation is your own work ethic.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

Good point Undercat!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Hey, I know that this is off-topic, but lord ariez, do you really live in saskatoon, and if so, did you ever hear of a song by the guess who called "runnin' back to saskatoon"?

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

hahahah yes I do really live in Saskatoon, and have heard the song many times :)

Radio stations love playing that song. But I can't say I'm a big fan of it.

ReplyQuote
(@greatone_12)

i say just give yourself a grade if you think your doing good then your doing good no matter what people say

ReplyQuote