Clear all

Guitar/Amp set ups...

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@jg8804)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I really am about as clueless as you can get when it comes to this stuff and i was wondering if you guys could help me out with a few pointers on what settings the amp and guitar should be on to get certain sounds etc.

Would be much appreciated, thanks.

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

hey, finding a good sound relies on your experimentation.

These are a couple of nice sounds i got, but before that, in general, if you want a rock sound, turn up the gain on your amp (not too much or it'll get muddy, something like 7 out of 10) and fiddle with the equalizers.

I find that a decent tone for me (i play a fender standard strat w/ a marshall mg 15 dfx) is to set:
- both tone knobs to 0
-volume knob at 10
- Gain level at 5
-Bass at 3.5
-Contour at 5
-Treble at 10
- pickup switch set at bridge and middle

ths is something I like, and sometimes with the above settings, add a little bit of chorus (level 3) and turn down the gain slightly to reduce hum

This is jsut an example, I'll say it again, just try different things. One time I just twisted random knobs and got a cool sound. You never know what you'll get.

ReplyQuote
(@jg8804)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks mate, thing is being the very basic starter i am i only have a 10 watt squire amp which has Overdrive switch, Treble and Bass on. Also i have the 2 tone things on my guitar itself. I don't have none of the contour or anything, thanks though :(

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

what sound are you after

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@jg8804)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

To be honest im not in any particular one, Indie mainly though. Just a few little set ups or rough set ups on what gives what kind of sound would be great :D

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Tone is so subjective. One persons "killer" sound my not be what someone else likes.

I've got a buddy of mine who is an excellent player. I swear he can pickup any guitar, plug into any amp, and rock out. A lot of your tone ends up being in your fingers.

Anyway, since that really doesn't help you all that much, all I can say is what sound I've found that I like. I have an Epi LP going through an Ibanez TS7 pedal which then goes into a Fender Deluxe Reverb amp. With that combo I've been able to achieve just about any sound I want. Tweak some settings here, and I've got a blues sound. Tweak some here and I've got a hard rock sound. Crank the knobs and I've got a metal sound.

The bottom line is this, you will just have to experiment and find out what suits your style(s).

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

it also depends on what are you playing? a guitar with singles, or a guitar with humbuckers? bleus or rock?, hell ask wes or forrok, they will hook u up :D

ReplyQuote
(@jg8804)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Im on single's, rock, indie mainly and punk kinda. To be honest i would play anything that i could simply for the hell of it.

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

find whats right 4 u.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

since you say you play rock, and you have single coils, keep the toggle switch on the 2 and 4 or 3 and 5 positions, to reduce that single coil hum. Also, keep your distortion level at a slightly high level (to beef up those single coils) and move the 2 equalizer knobs u have until you find somehting nice, at one distoriton level. It might be helpful if you write down your settings for larer use.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

What I like to do is set up the amp to play a good clean sound.

Turn everything to zero.

Turn the volume up to about 3 or 4.

Now play a chord and turn up the base slowly until you like the low end sounds.

Now turn up the mids till you get what you want from the mids.

Now turn up the treble.

I find that doing it from low to high frequencies, I get a sound I like with a lot lower treble settings, and the whole thing tends to be more responsive.

Now plug in your effects loop and fine tune your sound through the effects loop using your EQ. You do have at least 2 EQ's right? One on the front end of the effects loop and one on hte back end ....

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

jg
Those mids or contour are realy important to shaping the sound, without control over them (which means at least a three band on board equalizer) it's hard to recommend anything.

The best suggestion is sytematic experimentation with the bass and treble controls.
A separate equalizer will help
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/search/detail/base_pid/151873/sourceid=qIZcQrAJmyrzAncaXWUx/befree_site_id=0041359965
Or for a few more dollars ypi might have more fun with one of these
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/GM108.htm

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote