Guitar painting...

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jay_ashcroft)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys,

I've got a old crappy ibanez rg250 in disgusting gold! Recently put new pickups in it and it plays pretty well, just can't stand the colour. I was looking at getting a custom paint job on it but due to price and the fact the nearest place i could find is like 30mile from me decided against it. So i thought about painting it myself. I've seen some efforts before and they weren't pretty. I'm a pretty good artist but the thing that bothers me is the finish. I know you have to sand down the original coating, but how do you get that protected glossy finish? And what tools would i need, paint type etc...

If anyone has any experience you'd help me out a whole lot. Either Pm me or post here.

Thanx in advance

Jay

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Here's everythiung you need to know Project Guitar
Or Here ReRanch

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member

I spent the $25 for the downloadable version of this book and it looks really great. Comes with Video clips and lots of good advice. I haven't had a chance to start my project but I would reccomend the book.

http://www.paintyourownguitar.com/

I will caveat that to say that I haven't looked at all the free resources that are out there so I can't say if this is better than what's out there.

ReplyQuote