Clear all

Guitar Strings

20 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I have a Squier '51 and I'm curious to know (for future reference) what kind of guitar strings are good for this guitar, and what kind aren't good. My idols are Jimi Hendrix/David Gilmour and I know that David Gilmour used some Ernie Ball .10 gauge strings for his guitar, but would those be good for the '51?

And how can I tell when I should replace my strings?

Thanks.

(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

Both of your questions are purely personal opinion. Ask 10 different people what strings they play and you will get 15 different answers. I personally play D'addario on electric and Ernie Ball Earthwood on Acoustic. String changes depend on how often you play, how much your hands sweat, and personal preference. If I play a lot I change every month or so, so folks change as much as once a week, so folks will use the same set for 6 months. You should change your strings when they start to sound dull, won't stay in tune good, or become corroded.

Just my $.02

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

Both of your questions are purely personal opinion. Ask 10 different people what strings they play and you will get 15 different answers. I personally play D'addario on electric and Ernie Ball Earthwood on Acoustic. String changes depend on how often you play, how much your hands sweat, and personal preference. If I play a lot I change every month or so, so folks change as much as once a week, so folks will use the same set for 6 months. You should change your strings when they start to sound dull, won't stay in tune good, or become corroded.

Just my $.02

Exactly what i was going to say ^^^. For electric i like the DR dimebag darell strings and for acoustic i like the ernie ball earthwood strings aswell.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yea..but are Ernie Ball .10 gauge strings good for an electric?

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Oh, yes, perfectly good. Like redneckrocker I prefer d'Addario, but Ernie Ball are top quality strings. You might want to try 9 gauge as also - some people find them easier to play, and brighter-sounding, than 10's. Others will say 10's are more ballsy, sound better with high gain, etc. That's all a matter of taste - and you'll find some players prefer 10's on one guitar and 9's on another. Either gauge will suit the Squier '51 just fine.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Any strings are fine for any guitar, just don't stray too much from the guage that came on them new as the nut slots might not be cut right. This can be fixed though. If your strings are alot heavier you can widen the nut slots. If they are alot smaller you would need a new nut. If you are only going up or down a couple of guages it won't matter. (That said I got a guitar that came with 13's and I got 9's on it with the same nut and it plays fine) Most new guitars come with 9's or 10's so you will be fine. As for the brand ... totally personal preference. As for when to change ...... as mentioned above, they get dull sounding. They also feel rough and not slippery and they resist being bent. They get stiffer. This is when I change them.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@hanzo)
Trusted Member

I have a Squier 51 and I've been using D'Adario XL 9's on it. I use the same brand in 10's on my Tele. The 9's are a bit easier to barre with it seems and aren't quite as bassy as 10's, but either would work just fine I think.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Just a personal preference, but I really don't like Ernie Balls....I live in a small town that doesn't even have a guitar shop, or even a shop that sells guitar strings....so I have to travel at least 5 miles to buy strings. I usually buy D'Addario's - 9's - but sometimes they don't have them in stock and I have to buy EB's, they don't seem to last 1/2 as long as the D'Add's....

Maybe just the way I play, I tend to bend strings a long way when soloing.....but with strings the price they are, I'd rather pay £6.99 for D'Addario's than £5.99 for EB's.....never had a D'Add string snap on me yet.....currently without a top E string on my acoustic, only changed them a month ago.....bought EB's....

Then again, I'm pretty heavy handed - may not be the strings, might be the player.....

But to me, paying a £1 less for EB's is false economy....I get far more wear and tear out of D'Addario's.....

Ernie Ball users, feel free to shout me down!

As always, this is just MY opinion.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hmm...yea, I was reading about Ernie Balls and it seems as if they don't last as long. Obviously I wouldn't wear them out as much since I'm just learning, but at the same time I'd rather have something that'd last longer.

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

Just a personal preference, but I really don't like Ernie Balls....I live in a small town that doesn't even have a guitar shop, or even a shop that sells guitar strings....so I have to travel at least 5 miles to buy strings.

At least five miles?! And by car no less, my.. that must be some journey!

My nearest guitar shop is about twelve or so miles and 20-30 minutes away depending on traffic.. (cue someone whose guitar shop is even further ;))

As for strings, I went out the other day and bought some cheap GHS Electric Roundwound .12's.. and I'm not too pleased. They sound like crap on my Artcore.. just sound really bad. I'd steer clear of those.. but than again, maybe they sound better on a solid body.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I like Ernie Balls .9's on my Tele and Strat and E.B. .10's on my Epi Dot.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Just a personal preference, but I really don't like Ernie Balls....I live in a small town that doesn't even have a guitar shop, or even a shop that sells guitar strings....so I have to travel at least 5 miles to buy strings.

At least five miles?! And by car no less, my.. that must be some journey!

My nearest guitar shop is about twelve or so miles and 20-30 minutes away depending on traffic.. (cue someone whose guitar shop is even further ;))

As for strings, I went out the other day and bought some cheap GHS Electric Roundwound .12's.. and I'm not too pleased. They sound like crap on my Artcore.. just sound really bad. I'd steer clear of those.. but than again, maybe they sound better on a solid body.

50 miles .... I win .. ha haaaa haaaa hAAA! .... :oops: SORRY

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

Just in case there's any confusion, yes Ernie Ball 10 gague strings are good for an electric - but you probably will want to stick with the 10's for electrics instead of going with the Ernie Ball 10's that are for acoustic.

Sorry if you already know this, but it's unclear as I read the posts, and this was actually something I didn't know at first, so.... Anyway, the wound strings for acoustics tend to be wound with brass or bronze, where the strings for electrics tend to be wound with nickel.

Okay, I'll shut up now. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Kevin, knowing that you're brand new to guitar, you may want to stick with 9's for a bit until you develop some calluses and start learning to bend, etc.

Under Guitar Players Discussion, we've had a few recommendations for strings for '51s on the Squier '51 Roll Call thread....

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Kevin I have used the E.B. .9's since I was 14 ( I'm 49 now) . Its a good choice :wink:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2