Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Strings

20 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

Just in case there's any confusion, yes Ernie Ball 10 gague strings are good for an electric - but you probably will want to stick with the 10's for electrics instead of going with the Ernie Ball 10's that are for acoustic.

Sorry if you already know this, but it's unclear as I read the posts, and this was actually something I didn't know at first, so.... Anyway, the wound strings for acoustics tend to be wound with brass or bronze, where the strings for electrics tend to be wound with nickel.

Okay, I'll shut up now. :wink:

I didn't know that, so thanks for sharing! I'll have to file that tidbit away for later, if I ever get an electric. I currently have Dean Markley 12's on mine, and I like 'em just fine.

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I currently don't have an electric guitar but i have several air guitars on which i am using 'Custom made Specially Coated Long Lasting Superior Tone' .10s made by AirGuitar Strings Pvt. Ltd.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Kevin, knowing that you're brand new to guitar, you may want to stick with 9's for a bit until you develop some calluses and start learning to bend, etc.

Under Guitar Players Discussion, we've had a few recommendations for strings for '51s on the Squier '51 Roll Call thread....

Margaret
I'm actually already am pretty good at bending I think (with a single string though). Not so much if I'm doing a chord. And I'll check out that topic.
Kevin I have used the E.B. .9's since I was 14 ( I'm 49 now) . Its a good choice
Thanks. How often do you change them?

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Kevin, the frequency with which you should change your strings will vary, depending on several factors, including how much your hands sweat, how much you play, climate/humidity, if you store your guitar in a case vs. on a stand (oxidation). Always washing your hands before playing and wiping the strings down with a clean cloth after playing can help extend the life of your strings.

Old strings will start to sound muddy, they lose their brightness, and you start to notice it just doesn't sound as good as it used to. At that point, installing new strings is like getting a new guitar all over again.

You may want to change them every 2-4 months to start with. Now someone will correct me if I'm wrong.... :)

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Always washing your hands before playing and wiping the strings down with a clean cloth after playing can help extend the life of your strings.

I do this religiously and I thought I just had OCD. :lol: (OCD obsessive compulsive disorder)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2