Clear all

Half A Year Playing

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, I've been playing for 6 months now. I think I've come further in the 6 months with the guitar than I did in the 3 years I played trumpet and clarinet.

I've actually cleaned up most of my power chords. As well as being able to change between most open chords. Though when I have to go to a C chord, I get kind of stuck, my one finger keeps sliding to the back of the fret.

I've been learning theory too. I've found the best way for me to learn it is to either apply it to the music or have examples from my music used to demonstrate it. I've been studying the history of it as well. Like why major chords are 1-3-5 or power chords just 1-5. Most of it is just to satisfy my curiousity more than anything.

I'm not sure what to learn next, since I'm actually pretty much happy with what I know now. At least for now anyways. I was thinking of scales next. But think I would learn them on the keyboard first. If I played them on the guitar first, I'd probably only learn the fingerings as opposed to the notes. Which probably wouldn't help me.

By far the most important thing I've learn is what music is. For me, it's a search for who I am. The one place I can be myself and not having anyone judge me. Of course, finding what music to play based on that can be hard since 'being myself' isn't a definite thing. But it does allow for growth.

Anyway, sorry for my ramblings. It's not to whine, there is still a lot more to learn but I am pleased with the progress I've made so far.

(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Congrats on your accomplishments OWA!!!!

:)

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new found talent OWA. :D Good job!! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I'm not sure what to learn next, since I'm actually pretty much happy with what I know now. At least for now anyways. I was thinking of scales next. But think I would learn them on the keyboard first. If I played them on the guitar first, I'd probably only learn the fingerings as opposed to the notes. Which probably wouldn't help me.

I think that's very wise. Honestly, the piano is probably the best theory teaching tool out there. Since everything is laid out in front of you it's very easy to see how it all fits together. At least for me.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

OWA,
you're neither rambling or whining. You have a healthy appetite for knowledge and a keenness to apply what you learn. You also have enough self confidence to understand that you can make the best of both your strengths and your weaknesses.
Be proud of what you've achieved.
By far the most important thing I've learn is what music is. For me, it's a search for who I am. The one place I can be myself and not having anyone judge me. Of course, finding what music to play based on that can be hard since 'being myself' isn't a definite thing.
My advice is, keep your mind open to other styles of music - there isn't a style that you can't take something from.
I've spent many years working in various countries and with different cultures (I haven't counted, but maybe 20 or so) and I've assimilated a little from every one of them - and keep on doing so. You should do the same with your music.
OK, I'll stop rambling now (I didn't see any whines).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thank you all!!!!!

I actually learn changing open chords by playing Country music, though it has yet to move into the music I like, the biggest problem being your typical country progression gets muddy when combined with a metal distortion pedal. Trying to apply some blues and having a bit of more luck there, since rock stems from the blues.

KP, I figured the keyboard was a good idea because of what you said, everything is laid out. Another thing was, once I knew the notes of the scale, it would be easy to find the notes. I didn't want to learn a scale pattern, change the tuning of my guitar and be lost.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

OTW

Yeah, that wasn't rambling at all. Sounds like you are coming along really well. Just keep playing with your heart and you will be alright. :D

I have also seen a change in your attitude in the last few months. You were a little anti-knowledge at first. Glad to see you are giving theory a chance. I wish I had learned theory when I was young, it is truly a valuable tool that will help you to better express yourself.

So keep on Rockin'

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

You go gurl! congrats. :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Thank you all!!!!!

I actually learn changing open chords by playing Country music, .

Congrats OWA. Always enjoy reading your messages and occasional chats. Keep up the great work and keep that desire going. Its terrific.

Ohh and country isnt THAT bad. :shock:

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OMG ....look at her "she's gone country' :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

OWA gone country?!

I like your approach and attitude to music and playing.
you will go far.
piano is an excellent idea.
it opened doors for me in understanding guitar.

other avenues for you could be learning to play with a slide.
slide can fit well into many genres. especially if you bring your personality into the version.
and I sense that is what you do.
go grrl.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

A humble note - To learn country and peaceful music kindly switch the distortion off on your amp and keep the pedal in a bank locker.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

A humble note - To learn country and peaceful music kindly switch the distortion off on your amp and keep the pedal in a bank locker.

If my goal were to learn country music I would. Actually if my goal were to learn country, I'd just play on my acoustic. I was more interested in learning chord changes and common chord progressions. And to see if I can, take something and put it into metal.

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

I have a tip for you for learning scales on the guitar. and the notes. first map out your fret board from fret 1 to 12. this is in standard tuning. then take say the G scale. look at the fingerings compared to your map chart and each time you strike the string for that note then say the note name. you will not only learn your scales but all the notes within the scale, and when you switch from first postion into secound, then you will learn those notes further up the neck or down the neck however you look at it.

I think as a guitarist it's important to run through scales on a daily basis. It will help you improve so much, I bet you if you started today runing scales and doing them at least 15 minutes a day you will see in two weeks that your much faster and more accurateyour ears will be more atuned or trained to the different tones. Making it easier to play new songs and write your own as well.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@luvgilmour)
Estimable Member

It' a great thing to start something new, stick with it, and be pleased with the progress... That is what life is all about. Good work.

I'll only be down there (in the basement practicing) for a couple of minutes or so...
My SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=470725

ReplyQuote