Happy ax-mas! New guitar

27 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Having more or less decided against an Epiphone DOT, I spendt all morning searching Oslo's guitar shops for an Ibanez AF-86. At the first place I was almost being talked into buying a Hagstrøm ES-335 copy. Very good looking.

I was lucky on the 4th try. I finally found an AF-86 -

And I walked out with an Epiphone DOT :shock:

I played both for a while and the Epiphone just sounded so much better in direct comparision IMO. Kinda like more middle tone, more "punch" and a clearer more distinct bass - especially at high gain - the Ibanez was kinda more ... muffled? - well, hard to describe, but it just did the trick for me :-) Maybe I wasn't looking for a jazzguitar after all... :roll: This one rocks and it sounds real round and ... saturated too.

Finish seems good too - I hadn't seen it 'live' in black before, and it looks real good, except the stupid gold/orange knobs - but "they say everything can be replaced" :-)

Think this is gonna be a good (a)x-mas - once I have convinced Mrs. that it didn't ruin me. After all the total number of guitars at home is constant since I sold my LP recently.

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Congrats Lars! 8)

I have an Oscar Schmidt OE-30 which is very similar, also in black with the gold/orange knobs! :wink: I played it on Team 1's "The Crybabies" GN Funk Jam.

Enjoy! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Very nice, lars.

Congrats, bud!!! :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

nice Lars. you had been looking. nice selection.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Congratulations on your new arrival, Lars! Looks wonderful!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

8 of 10 on looks, I think silverish speed knobs will make it look better! As long as it plays well for you, that is the main thing. Congrats!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Nice guitar Lars. Personally though, I'm a much bigger fan of the Hagstroms neck than the Epi's. Beautiful guitar though either way.

Have fun,

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

If it plays as good as it looks it will be great, but I agree that the knobs should go at some time, it seems like that is the look they try to maintain and are the same as the ones on my Epi LP. They are the only things I don't like but they're still there after 3 years. Have fun playing it!!!
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Oh, that's nice!

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Beautiful! 8)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Lars, looks great. Very classic look. Enjoy!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks folks - Yes I think I can get used to this one :-)

and Paul - so you know Hagstrom... Do you have one? I really liked how it looked and played, but it was slightly above budget so I turned it down initially.

Re mods. It is *almost* too much black, somewhat Goth-ish. I have been thinking about *maybe* changing pickup covers, pick guard and knobs - cream white as the stripe on the side maybe??? i don't know even where to look for it - any good mod shops out there?

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Nice. 8)

The Dot is Epiphone's Gibson ES-335 copy, the ES-335 has pretty hot pickups and has been used by many Rockers. Eric Clapton was using a ES-335 in Cream's last days, he got pretty heavy tones with it.

Here's a clip of EC playing the ES-335

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXTrmwQuSZQ

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

That's one handsome looking new baby Lars. :D

Looks like you've got a host of Godfathers and Godmothers lining up here - so we're all looking forward to the christening ceremony. :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2