Clear all

Harmonics

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So I'm working on a song where in a couple of places I need to play a couple of strums of harmonics, as it happens on the 12th and 7th frets. (Black Crowes', "She Talks to Angels", 17 seconds into their recording.)

Not the most difficult harmonics ever, and I can do it, but am still working on consistency.

Aside from the obvious "Keep practicing", any clues on how to make these ring out? Specifically, I'm wondering if anybody can share any simple "rules" about playing harmonics (e.g. "Always strum/pluck the string x distance from where you're touching the string", or that sort of thing).

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Shane

(@hummerlein)
Estimable Member

Just lightly place your finger directly over the fret wire and it should be pretty easy to get a clear ringing tone. Take your finger off soon, or your finger will just dampen the string. Once you hit the harmonic, you don't need your finger there any more to keep it going.

Those aren't so bad, wait until you have to do artificial harmonics! Now those take some time to get right.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

If you're playing an electric make sure you're using only one of the pickups.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Where you strum makes a difference, as some points on the string will be nodes (string appears stationary at these) and others are antinodes (points of maximum vibrational displacement). You will want to strum at the antinodes. For 12th fret harmonics this is right around the 24 fret (just over 6 inches from the bridge). For 7th fret harmonics, about 4 inches from the bridge should be good.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@chaosnova)

i can play natural harmonics easily, and pinch harmonics, but what exactly/how do you play artificial harmonics? Someone told me once, i think, that an A.H. is doing a pinch harmonic exactly 12 frets above the fretted note. Like, on the fret. Like if i fretted the 3rd fret, i'd do a pinch harmonic over the 15th fret.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

It's any time you fret a note and play a harmonic on that string. The fretted note acts like the nut did, so you can play them 12 frets above it, or 7, or five, or whatever.

ReplyQuote
(@guitargeek-9)

Those aren't so bad, wait until you have to do artificial harmonics! Now those take some time to get right.

those are fine, just harp harmonics on an acoustic with a somewhat mezzo piano to pianissimo dynamic, its like impossible! grr.

Rock on.

ReplyQuote