Clear all

Help Me Choose Which Guitar

23 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ok, so I've gone around town and haven't found a Tele I liked. Ok, not true, I found a beautiful American Tele at a pawn shop, but they were asking WAY too much for it and wouldn't come down on it.

After much thought, I've decided I'd rather buy something less expensive anyway (too many other things I need to spend my money on right now, like an engagement ring for my girlfriend). Which has left these two choices:

Squier Black & Chrome:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/519619/
I got an email from MF for $30 off too, so I can get this for $169, no shipping.

Or

Agile TC-630
http://www.rondomusic.net/AgileTC630.html
$249

Do you feel that the Agile would be a better guitar? I really like that black and chrome version of the Squier, but I'm more about playability.

Opinions?

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i like the tc 630
but i'm not sure if the front pickup has adjustment screws (on either one). i noticed the muddy waters version had that complaint by many who reviewed it.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I really like that transparent brown and pearloid pickgaurd. Looks nice. The guitar has also gotten nothing but good reviews as well.

I keep going back to it, even after hunting around for about two weeks.

The only thing is that the Squier seems like a really good deal for the price.

Wish I could just get both and then sell the one I didn't like as much. :D

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

You have to go with what you like and how much you are willing to spend. As much as I endorse the Agile's I think the Squire is the better deal ESPECIALLY for $169...(probably free shipping too!)...Now if it was at regular price with shipping added I would go for the Agile in a heartbeat. I have read the reviews on the Squire and they sound good...

I wish I had the $30 off so I can get it!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I like the looks of the Squier a little bit more. Also used to own a Squier and I really liked that guitar alot but then again I've never played an Agile so its hard to say.

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input everyone!

That Squier just might be too hard to pass up considering the price. If it turns out I don't really like it, I could always sell it or pass it on to one of my kids or friends. I've got a buddy who plays classical guitar and only owns an acoustic, but he's been talking about getting an electric again (I've been bugging him to do so for awhile now so we could jam together). Worst case, I sell it to him for a slight loss.

Anyone suggest some good strings to add to my cart? The only extra strings I have now are Gibson's and they are made specifically for humbuckers (whatever that actually means, I dunno).

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Oh, and Mike, try adding the Squier to your cart and see what happens. I got an email that said it was for "select MF customers", but the savings didn't show up until I added the guitar to my cart. I'm sure it's just marketing spin and probably applies to everyone. It was $30 off Squiers, $50 off Fender, and $100 off American Fender.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

OH...you have to click the link in the email first...I got that email as well...I am also looking at this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/515115/

but it's an affinity and I am not sure on those?..

I think I have GAS again!

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Welp, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Squier. Got it and a Deluxe gig bag for a $184. I know, I know, breaking the bank! :D

Mike, the Squier you linked to I played with in a local shop. It looked really nice, but I didn't like the neck on it. Felt a bit rough, IMO. Didn't plug that model in either, so I can't attest to the pups. Still, for the price of these things, it really is hard to go wrong.

I think my GAS has settled for a bit. Hopefully anyway. :D

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I am going to give it a few days...My birthday is coming up and Mom said she'd give me a few bucks...I need to check the bills and stuff since my first paycheck in 2 weeks is ALL going toward rent...

I got GAS so bad now I am shaking!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hey, rather than trying to sell it if you dont like it. Look into their return policy. It used to be very flexible. I think that they would take it back, no questions, within a month. Thats the way it used to be anyways.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I think you're right geoo. Their return policy is very good. Not sure what I'd get in return though. Maybe that '51 with the bucker in the bridge? 8)

Mike, you just got a new guitar and you're already gasing for another? Dude, you've got it REAL bad, dontcha? :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I think you're right geoo. Their return policy is very good. Not sure what I'd get in return though. Maybe that '51 with the bucker in the bridge? 8)

Mike, you just got a new guitar and you're already gasing for another? Dude, you've got it REAL bad, dontcha? :lol:

I have always like the sound of Tele's but figured I could never aford a good one. They I heard that Squire made good strats/tele's and I was planning on getting either a Squire or Agile Tele anyway closer to Christmas...but if I can get the Squire at this price it'll be worth it...

However that would mean buying ANOTHER guitar around Christmas time!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I'm with ya, mikespe... I got Tele and ES-335 GAS real bad!!!

EDIT: Anybody played a Hame Echotone before??? http://www.hamerguitars.com/?fa=detail&mid=402&sid=188 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

ive been wanting to get this epi sg, but recently my fascinatioon with clapton has resurged, witht he addition of "beano" album to my collection, Im really considering that epi 335, it's a great guitar and $50 less than the epi sg, which is always a plus. Also, I played the epi dot at GC and it is fantastic, I got to get used to picking with humbuckers, as I kept hitting the top humbucker.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2