Notifications
Clear all

Help on how to get a sound

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jessec)
Topic starter  

Hi, I've been playing acoustic guitar for about 10 years, and recently got into electric guitar and using pedals to make interesting sounds. I was curious how to get this kind of eerie, evolving guitar swell kind of sound that you can here at about 0:18 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmdABg8bByI and something similar at about 1:15 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uA0E3o8BCc . It sounds like a lot of reverb and maybe an evolving filter and I'm pretty sure the sigur ros sound involves using a bow on the strings, but I'm curious as to what your ears might come up with. Thanks for any help!

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I played the Youtube and thought it was synth.

I have heard plenty of synths - my son builds and mods them, plus theramin and other effects, and plays other gazillions of gear that will totally bend and distort anything into the unthinkable, plus mimic sounds from a blender to a motorcycle.
So, it doesn't matter to some of these devoted noisemakers, what they use as a trigger. Anything that plugs in can be used. With the theramin, you use your body, moving through magnetic fields. A guitar can become a great synthesizer.

It has become very popular and chic to use vintage video games, and add-on keypads, like from a cell phone or remote.

My son finds the 4 string Bass so easy with 12 years experience, that he will use that, instead of a complex keyboard. Some of the original and tiny little keyboard toys and certain Casio's have become valuable prizes, and highly sought.

So, Hammock apparently uses a cello with a bow, and a slew of rackmount and perdalboard effects, I'll let you sort it out, rather than tell and re-post the pics or each stompbox with their names. The chain is unrecognizable - what goes where?
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=545831 I listened to both links - 1:15 sounds like a wooden flute.

If you happen to be a builder, you don't have to buy all the effects, you build it yourself into one neat, but very heavy and complex box. This is my son's first, and by now he has added a second tier. It is nothing compared to his colleagues' $100,000 builds which they sit inside, and the walls of knobs surround them. The purpose again, is to eliminate store-bought individual effects that hook up with miles of wire and loads of confusion and inconvenience, and look messy?

All right, this is like "one effect", starts with a flat aluminum plate cut at the metal fab shop, and individual parts from everywhere, not a kit - every little tidbit is separate, and there is a blueprint for the individual boards and controls.

You order wood from a woodworking outfit, in this case walnut I think, and build yourself a cabinet, stain and finish it.

Hand file all of the tolerances between the individual boards, and fit them together like a puzzle, try without any gaps.

First row complete. It is now a full 4 rows, with another unit on top riding piggyback. Again, each panel is an "effect".
The black fronts are cut from self adhesive vinyl, templates printed on computer, then developed by a UV photo process.

He spray paints the 1/4" jacks' nuts and washers to use as a code, telling him which circuits are connected or related.

Again, the purpose of all this is to avoid using stomp boxes, pedal boards and all of the exposed wiring. Just plug 'n play.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@jessec)
Topic starter  

wow thanks for the help guys i appreciate it!

ReplyQuote