Clear all

Help Please

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Sorry about this, and especially posting it in this forum, but I would liek some help on this issue quick.

I tune by guitar with a $20 CND Korg tuner and recently I downloaded Audacity to lsiten to myself play, the connection is a cheap microphone which is played pretty much inside the soundhole as anything else doesn't register anything.

Now the tuner says my guiatr is relatively in tune, at least there is a green light for the given note. The Korg is not very consistant, it bounces quick a large degree every time a note is played, sometimes showing quite sharp othertimes quite flat, but generally it stays within the "greenlight" range. However, when I look at the pitch for any given note in Audacity, it says it's a pitch of a different note. For instance I play my low E string and it says it's a D-Eb note. I play my G and it says it's a D string. And that's the close ones, some are two or three semi-tones either sharp or flat.

It's not that I'm not selecting jsut the right notes, since I've tried recording just a signle note being played and it also does this. And I don't trust my ear for shit, and although it would be humiliating, I wouldn't put it beyond possibility that I can't tell that that I'm playing a D when I hit the open E string (which the tuner says is relatively in tune) but it's possible. So any ideas? Is it likely the program or me?

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

If I assume correctly, your using the Korg GA-30 tuner. If you are, then I say just trust the tuner, and try to tune it as perfectyly as possible, or as close as possible. (don't spend 10 minutes just trying to get a string exactly perfectly). The Korg tuners are very good, and I just say play with the correct Korg tuning.

ReplyQuote
(@catalina3899)
Estimable Member

I also resently bought the Korg GA-30 tuner for 20.00. The tuner reads that my guiatr is in tune but If I play my low E string through my line 6 amp tuner it also reads flat at least by 1/2 step. All the other strings match.
You might check to see if your display reads 440, that through me off the first time i used mine.

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well the thing is I have no fucking clue what the Hz mean in relation to pitch. The tuner is set to use "440 Hz" as the Hz for A. That's how it came too. A bit to the left on the screen it shows a 430 and on the right a bit it says 450. I'm not sure how this works, when tuning to A you get the line to point to 440 and the green light comes on. When tunign to E I assume you also try to get the line to point to the 440, by which the green light goes on, and the same ot all the other notes. I am trying to tune so the tuner shows the string I am trying to tune as the cloest string, and so the green light coems on (by the line pointing to 440.) Hopefully that is correct. And hopefully having the line a few Hz to the left or to the right won't change a whole smei-tone.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Those Hertz markings are only accurate for and A with a frequency of 440 Hz. Any other note will have a different frequency. It's strange that they put them there. You're doing things right, though. You want it to be as close to the middle as possible. A higher frequency is a higher pitch.

Where are you finding pitches in Audacity?

ReplyQuote
(@catalina3899)
Estimable Member

If I'm way off base here, sorry( Im just trying to help). When you pick the low E string does the tuner display 6E on the left and GUITAR on the right side of the display.

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

Yeah...maybe you have it set to bass...I did that once and I almost broke my guitar (as well as the tuner) in rage and frustration only to realise I had made a terrible mistake. Oops :oops:

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

It's set to guitar. And I check it by selecting the clip and going to change pitch, where it lists the original pitch.

I tried doing it by recording a clip of Neil Young-Tell me Why. Several times the pitch was indicated accuratly as to the chord he was playing at the time according to the tab. Other times though it was way off, possibly due to his singing? Or is it just plain wrong?

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok I did a bit oh an expiriment, and the results are something I don't quite understand all too well.

I tried just clipping the sound right in the middle of the note, so there is the ringing all the way through. On all but the low e audacity guessed it right. The louder part when the note is played though always registers something weird. Together they amount to something slightly off the note I played. So that explains most of it. But the E still reigsters as an F on audacity. Any ideas? On the tuner it's pretty close, although it does flacuate randomly to about half the screen sharp. Although I thought that one screen on the tuner was equal to one pitch. Is it possible on a Korg GA-30 to be tuned a whole half-step sharp even if the tuner showed the line halfway between the ideal pitch and the end of the circle? By the way, not only this, my A string is tuned to the 440 Hz suggested for A, when I record it on audacity it says it's an A note but the frquency is 109 Hz, any ideas?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Depending on your pc, the audacity tuner can be a total joke. Play along with some records and check if it sounds off or not.

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I also would trust the dedicated tuner (korg) rather than the software. Software has to make some weird calculations and can be effected by a lot of stuff.

Did you try to see if your tuning matches a reference tone you can find online? How does it sound to you when you play?

Oktay

ReplyQuote