Clear all

Help with choice important

38 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Arjen:

Of course PKrider is correct; only Americans can work wood into musical instruments - why, everyone knows Stradavarius was an American luthier! :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Ha, Arjen, that's great.

It is certainly one thing to prefer American made instruments, but to denounce the rest of the world entirely is quite another.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

First, at the risk of sounding like a snob and hurting people's feelings..... GET HIM AN AUSTRAILIAN MADE GUITAR!!!!! He's from my era, and although many of us will actually buy a foreign made guitar, we all know that Aussie companies build a superior instrument. Period. End of statement. Whiners and people just starting our will want you to believe their copy is as good or better (cringe) than the real McCoy.... Don't buy it, because the Aussie made versions use better componenets and most importantly get more "hands on" attention during construction. NOw, regarding choice.... I vote Telecaster! How good of a player is he? If he's going back to his old love or just starting, the last thing he needs is a tremelo (whammy) bar! While very cool when used properly, the strat's whammy bar won't stay in tune or intonate as well a a fixed bridge like the les paul or telecaster. Many great players, including Keith Richards & Jeff Beck, got famous playing tele's Smile

Trust me..... He'll be happier with a made in austrailia guitar!

Wait a sec. . . hold on. . . .that's not quite right. . .

First, at the risk of sounding like a snob and hurting people's feelings..... GET HIM A CANADIAN MADE GUITAR!!!!! He's from my era, and although many of us will actually buy a foreign made guitar, we all know that CA companies build a superior instrument. Period. End of statement. Whiners and people just starting our will want you to believe their copy is as good or better (cringe) than the real McCoy.... Don't buy it, because the CA made versions use better componenets and most importantly get more "hands on" attention during construction. NOw, regarding choice.... I vote Telecaster! How good of a player is he? If he's going back to his old love or just starting, the last thing he needs is a tremelo (whammy) bar! While very cool when used properly, the strat's whammy bar won't stay in tune or intonate as well a a fixed bridge like the les paul or telecaster. Many great players, including Keith Richards & Jeff Beck, got famous playing tele's Smile

Trust me..... He'll be happier with a made in CANADA guitar!

Hmmmm. Rewind. Take three. Rolling!

First, at the risk of sounding like a snob and hurting people's feelings..... GET HIM A ZAMBIAN MADE GUITAR!!!!! He's from my era, and although many of us will actually buy a foreign made guitar, we all know that ZAMBIAN companies build a superior instrument. Period. End of statement. Whiners and people just starting our will want you to believe their copy is as good or better (cringe) than the real McCoy.... Don't buy it, because the ZAMBIAN made versions use better componenets and most importantly get more "hands on" attention during construction. NOw, regarding choice.... I vote Telecaster! How good of a player is he? If he's going back to his old love or just starting, the last thing he needs is a tremelo (whammy) bar! While very cool when used properly, the strat's whammy bar won't stay in tune or intonate as well a a fixed bridge like the les paul or telecaster. Many great players, including Keith Richards & Jeff Beck, got famous playing tele's Smile

Trust me..... He'll be happier with a made in ZAMBIA guitar!

Nah. . . . still not quite right. Ah! I know!

First, at the risk of sounding like a snob and hurting people's feelings..... GET HIM A (INSERT YOUR NATIVE COUNTRY HERE) MADE GUITAR!!!!! He's from my era, and although many of us will actually buy a foreign made guitar, we all know that (INSERT YOUR NATIVE COUNTRY HERE) companies build a superior instrument. Period. End of statement. Whiners and people just starting our will want you to believe their copy is as good or better (cringe) than the real McCoy.... Don't buy it, because the (INSERT YOUR NATIVE COUNTRY HERE) made versions use better componenets and most importantly get more "hands on" attention during construction. NOw, regarding choice.... I vote Telecaster! How good of a player is he? If he's going back to his old love or just starting, the last thing he needs is a tremelo (whammy) bar! While very cool when used properly, the strat's whammy bar won't stay in tune or intonate as well a a fixed bridge like the les paul or telecaster. Many great players, including Keith Richards & Jeff Beck, got famous playing tele's Smile

Trust me..... He'll be happier with a made in (INSERT YOUR NATIVE COUNTRY HERE) guitar!

YEAH! That's a take! Print it!

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

One of the things I love about being a musician is the fact that it often transcends national borders. I won't go so far as to say it is above politics, but certainly there is no need this kind of behavior in a music forum. The poster apparently has a certain amount of national pride and chose to express it by denouncing guitar manufacturers around the world outside of the States. Many are likely to disagree with his opinion, but to reduce yourself to insults and name calling does nothing but incense and propagate anger on both sides of the original ignorant perspective.

I had a football coach who used to make players who were involved in a fight hold hands and skip back and forth across the field while the rest of the team cheered them on. It worked every time. By the time they finished, they were usually laughing and back-slapping.

Peace and love my brothers and sisters. Peace and love .........

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

Whiners and people just starting our will want you to believe their copy is as good or better (cringe) than the real McCoy.... Don't buy it, because the US made versions use better componenets and most importantly get more "hands on" attention during construction. PK
Before we all go off the deep end here, I think what he is over enthusiasticly stating is that he thinks the American made Fenders are better than the MIM or cheap knockoff's and that the American made Gibbies are better than the oversea's made Epi's. that they have better hardware and such.

I have heard many, many people state this on these forums, no reason to be "offended" here if you read the post closely and not be overly sensitive.

just my opinion.

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

Get him a guitar built in Japan by an American with German tools, based on a Spanish instrument with an African Mahogany body, Canadian Maple Neck, Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard, and maybe a British amp to go with it...

Does your dad play Irish music ? Maybe that's a bit too exotic....
we all know that US companies build a superior instrument. Period. End of statement.
Maybe its true that big American Guitar manufacturers pay less attention to detail in their offshore factories than they do with factories stateside... (read: Fender, Gibson, PRS etc)
This doesn't mean a non - American luthier won't be able to match the quality of an American instrument. Your statement is ignorant

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

MrJonesey: I edited my initial reply. Even I still stand behind it and I could not possibly disagree more with his statement, which is logically impossible to maintain anyway, you are absolutely correct in that speaking my mind would archieve nothing but problems.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Whiners and people just starting our will want you to believe their copy is as good or better (cringe) than the real McCoy.... Don't buy it, because the US made versions use better componenets and most importantly get more "hands on" attention during construction. PK
Before we all go off the deep end here, I think what he is over enthusiasticly stating is that he thinks the American made Fenders are better than the MIM or cheap knockoff's and that the American made Gibbies are better than the oversea's made Epi's. that they have better hardware and such.

I have heard many, many people state this on these forums, no reason to be "offended" here if you read the post closely and not be overly sensitive.

just my opinion.

Scott

totally agree,
so what if he is a USA "fanboy" he prefaced his comment by apologising in advance

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

I find this whole string of posts amzing, maybe I havn't had enough coffee yet? :)

The original post was asking about two guitars a Strat and a Les Paul, there was no third choice of "a guitar made by a non-american luthier"

if there was and the poster said "Just buy American cos they make the only good guitars" I could see getting a little miffed about it cos there are fine craftsman all over the world.

If you keep the posts in context ie: he was answering a question about those two guitars, lets do a poll, how many people here think a Gibson Les Paul is better than a Epiphone, or that a American made Strat is better than a MIN or a Squier? Everyday I read on here that they have better hardware and better workmanship...oh and a higher price tag too.

If a Gibson LP was the same price as a Epi LP which would you buy?

If an American made Fender strat was the same price as the MIN one, which would you buy?

Why is it such an affront to people that someone would say that an American made guitar, keeping in context talking about a strat or lp, is the best made VERSION of that guitar.

last time I looked the Les Paul and the Stratocaster were invented and made by Americans, any knockoff or copy is just that, a copy, most or the time made with cheaper components.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Because he clearly isn't talking about versions or he is thoroughly lacking control over his own language. Ther eis no third option. Context matters when words have multiple meanings, in this case there isn't a whole lot of ambiguity.
all know that US companies build a superior instrument.

That has nothing to do with MIM vs MIA, it has to do with US companies vs non-US companies. Besides, he came up with a tele so he wasn't talking about the options given anyway. Also, there was no mention of epis or squiers by the OP at all so it was not like different versions were part of any context. This was a general remark that beginners are better of with hardtails and that US companies produce better guitars. The second statement is obviously incorrect and as such the responses seem perfectly valid to me. Personal opinion: if you want to wave some flags around without people getting annoyed, go join a non-international forum. He posts his opinion, others post theirs.

Tele: no problem with anybody posting his opinions but that doens't mean others can't post theirs.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I'm American and try to buy American, but I really think the Koreans are doing a wonderful job making guitars these days. The Korean guitars are also not as expensive. You have less to worry about with their guitars than some other countries. It depends on the company and the manufacturer. A reputable company will try to put out the best guitar for the best money. Some people out there just don't care. I like Agile made in Korea and distributed by Rondo music in the US. Rondo stands by their instruments. If you are not satisfied, they will take care of you.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

Arjen,

How can you say he "clearly" isn't talking about "versions" when he states this in the post:

"Period. End of statement. Whiners and people just starting our will want you to believe their copy is as good or better (cringe) than the real McCoy.... Don't buy it, because the US made versions use better componenets and most importantly get more "hands on" attention during construction"

He USES the words:

VERSION
COPY
THE REAL McCOY

I used capitols for emphasis, not cos I'm yelling :)

How can you miss or discount those words and focus on:

"all know that US companies build a superior instrument."

He follows the statement you quoted with the one I quoted and I think if you look at it as a whole statement rather than just picking out half a sentence, he is talking about copies and cheaper versions of Fenders and Gibsons, and as for the Tele comment, its not a great leap to suggest a Tele instead of a Strat, I'm not sure what reoccmending a hardtail or a trem guitar has anything to do with it cos they can be had on both American and Non-American versions.

Maybe cut the guy some slack and not assume he is trying to dis the whole world.

P.S. Btw I own an Epi and Squier, great guitars for the money, good "bang for the buck"

If I get a chance to pick up a Gibson or a Fender at a good price will I?.....you bet!

Scott

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Well, aside from all the nonsense, based on the players your dad listens to, I'd say go for a strat, it's both Claptons and Hendrix's weapon of choice. Hard to argue with that kind of endorsement.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I agree with Teleplayer. Get the Strat. BUT, if you are worried about the single coil versus humbucking pickup issue, then get him a Fat Strat, which has two single coils and the humbucker in the bridge position.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

sdolsay: I think we best just leave it be until he comes back to clarify his words.

PKrider: if I mis-nterpretated your words please accept my apologies.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3