Notifications
Clear all

Help with low tuning guitar

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ben00bly101)
Topic starter  

Hi, my name is Ben. I have been playing guitar for quite some time now but have only recently actually tried to learn some things. My favorite band is Slipknot and I want to be able to play the electric guitar in the same tone and thickness that Mick and Jim have in Slipknot songs. I have a Fender Stratocaster Squier and I was just wondering if someone could basically teach me about what I need for drop tuning like in Slipknot songs.
Like what guitar would be a good choice (must be below $700 or at least $1000)
What type, brand, size strings do I need for nicely sounding drop tuning
Just basically those things :P
But educate me a bit because I would love to know more about how things work lol

Thanks
Ben :)

(@sebas1023)

Im not a big fan of slipknot, but i do listen to them. From what i know, one of the guitarists does use a fender strat, so your guitar may not be a big problem, although with low tunings perhaps an ibanez might be a good choice if your willing to get a new guitar. If you wanna stick with the fender, try getting new pickups, now i cant tell you much on that cuz im not a pro with pickups but maybe emgs, but idk really. Also you may need to get a thicker string gauge. Idk slipknots tunings, but i can tell you that for drop c- 11's, b -12, and drop a you could use 12's or even 13's if you want. Also if you dont have a distortion pedal or distortion built into your amp, might wanna get that too.

ReplyQuote
(@conciliarfox)

Usually, Slipknot tunes in drop B. To effectively hold that tuning and play it effectively, is to find a longer necked guitar. If you look at their guitars, they have a 28 inch neck (a baritone guitar really). The 27 inch guitars have trouble holding tuning that low, but can be played with thicker gauge strings, 14s and 13s. You may need to widen the neck saddle slots to sit the strings right.

ReplyQuote