Skip to content
hmm, somethings wro...

Notifications
Clear all

hmm, somethings wrong with the guitar...

11 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ive got a problem with the elctronics. Im not sure if its the pickup or more to do with the switch - On my Epi SG, when I select the bridge pickup sometimes its okay, but other times i dont get any sound out of it or the sound will flicker. Imagine like a dodgey light bulb flickering on and off or bright to dim, its like that.
What dya guys thinks wrong with it? I certainly hope I dont have to replace the pickup (££££) :?

(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Sounds like a problem I had - spraying a little tuner cleaner on the switch cleared it up.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Sounds like a bum switch not a pick up.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Simon,

From what I've read the Epiphone SG's are notorious for problems with the PU switches.

I have one myself and I have the same problem as you do. I've been to lazy to get any contact cleaner but that's where I would start if I were you.

I just keep switching back and forth really fast and eventually it works.

Time to either buy some cleaner or replace the switch.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

cnev,

sorry, but you're wrong - ALL Epiphones have dodgy switches! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The best thing is to buy one from Switchcraft and replace the duff piece of rubbish that Epi puts in.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Hmmm, maybe it's the volume pot for the bridge pickup. I've had this happen before, and it was cleared up with tuner cleaner.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If it is just cutting out once in awhile then I bet on the switch. It could also be either the volume pot or the tone pot but if it is a pot it is more than likely the volume pot.

Try jiggling the switch to see if it clears and then try twisting the vol and tone pots to clean it up.

You can check the contacts on the switch by opening it up and exposing the switch and see if the tabs are clean and making contact in the various positions.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ciaran)
Eminent Member

The best thing is to buy one from Switchcraft and replace the duff piece of rubbish that Epi puts in.

Can't be all - I have a 635i that I bought in 1990 and the switch is still perfect. Having said that I've had to replace the volume and tone pots, and the output jack at various points. Must have just got lucky with the switch!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Hmm... probably a switch or pot. Luckily they're both under $10 so you're not gonna have to worry about it. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Can't be all - I have a 635i that I bought in 1990 and the switch is still perfect. Having said that I've had to replace the volume and tone pots, and the output jack at various points. Must have just got lucky with the switch!

Must be, my explorer has the same issue with the selector switch and volume knobs.

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Maybe they ran out of the default "crappy" Epi switches at the factory and borrowed a few from Gibson. :lol:

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote