Notifications
Clear all

How do you rock out on guitar?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@thomasdcruz)
Topic starter  

I hate guitar solos, so I’ll get that out of the way. I love a nasty groove though. Think early Van Halen, J.D. Simo-Id rather die in Vain, T Rex Buick-MacKane. Solos are not what’s tripping me up, it’s getting over my limited ego. These songs don’t sound right to me out of context when I’m practicing alone, and if I do start feeling it my neighbor starts yelling at me and it’s pretty distracting. I always wanted to groove like that, but it feels almost as hard as getting into stand up comedy for me. Not sure if that makes sense, but if you do get it any advice is appreciated.

(@alangreen)

The world needs good rhythm guitarists - think James Hetfield.

I do my Band work with Essential Sounds - the best Big Band in the East of England. My role there is to provide a solid rhythm as part of a damn fine rhythm section. The front row get the glory - singers, trumpets, saxophones and clarinets - as you'd expect.

Also, I do Pit work as part of the band for musicals - two this year so far:-) - and, again, the job is to lay down a solid rhythm so the actors/ singers can deliver it right.

In both situations, what is of supreme importance is that the sum is greater than the parts. Occasionally, my music will say "Solo" - if I'm in the Pit then we're behind curtains out of sight so it's irrelevant, but with the Big Band gigs I stand up so I can be seen, stamp on an overdrive pedal and let rip for what might be a glorious eight bars. It is, though, just part of the show, and if your lead guitarist is determined that everybody should be looking at nobody but him all night then the rest of the band are stupid for letting him get away with it and someone needs to give him a slap.

Turn the power/ volume down and riff to your heart's content- keep the neighbours sweet.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote