How long?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,

Been doing a good amount of practice (my regular hour-a-day sessions), and really working with the metronome every time, for about the first twenty or so minutes...then onto scales and chords and a few songs that I'm working on (Girl, by the Beatles).

Anyway, some days I see some improvement on my rhythym and speed and other days it seems like I take a step backward. I try to speed up a bit and I think maybe i'm trying to go too fast too soon. I've been playing for a year and a half. I know these things take time, but I've been taking lessons and practicing almost every day and am not sure of something...is this normal?

Is rhythym and speed something that takes yeeeaaars to reach? I'm thinking yes, but wanted to hear other folks experience with this.

Thanks a ton in advance!

Julius

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Julius,

I would say it's fairly normal so I wouldn't worry about. You will definitely have days when you feel like your playing great and making improvements and the other days it will feel like you went backwards.

I've been playing for about a year longer than you and I still feel the same way but in the end I know I'm making progress.

I have a fulltime job and although I play everyday I don't always practice diligently, but that's OK, I know it'll just take me a bit longer.

I'm also working on scales so I can solo some day and have to admit I find playing scales over and over to be quite boring and it never seems like I'm getting faster.

Hang in there you'll get there.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Cnev,

I hear ya on the scales, but I know that i'm getting faster and more precise, like you said...it takes time. As far as improving, I know I am, it's just that sometimes my progress wants to show itself, and other times it's hiding away and probably waiting to reveal itself four or five years down the line when I hit that chord change in time and go...

"Oh, that's where you've been hiding!"

Thanks again!

Julius

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

same way for me...Its frustrating feeling like you don't improve with all the hard work that you put in. Seems that guitar is only for the patient.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Just last night I was in my groove and pretty happy with my playing.
This morning I tried playing the exact same things I did last night and just couldn't seem to get it to come out right, I even said to my wife "my playing really sucks right now"
Everyone has good days and bad, no matter how long you have played.
You may think you are slow but compare yourself to the way you played six months ago.
Just keep at it and you will continue to improve.

ReplyQuote
(@gjbrake)
Reputable Member

Hey!

I've been playing for a few years now and I find the same thing still happens, only over the longer term. Sometimes for weeks I will be playing great and loving it - during this time I can barely put my guitar down. Then something will happen and I will start not playing so well - not hitting notes so cleanly, not absorbing new techniques/riffs as quickly and generally running out of ideas. During these times the struggle is to pick my guitar up.

It's like hills and valleys! Currently I am on the up-slope of what i hope will be a mountain!!!

So yeah - you'll always find that this is the case. Main thing: keep playing. Even during the bad times you are still improving - it's just not as obvious.
You may think you are slow but compare yourself to the way you played six months ago - couldn't have put it better myself, so I didn't try.

G

Listen Louder Than You Play

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

The most common sentiment among more veteran guitarists is: "I don't feel like I'm a whole lot better now, but my bad days now sound like my good days then."

I accept the fact that at some point, your progress stops being so dramatic as when you first start, but that's cool. Try recording yourself once a month or so, then go back 6 months later and listen to those first recordings... you'll notice, you'll here all those little mistakes, you'll know you've gotten better.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote