Notifications
Clear all

how much would u...?

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@feldy)
Topic starter  

....pay for an original 2 tone (black and white) 1983-84 Gibson Flying V Custom Shop Edition?

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Personally nothing . . i think flying v's are increadibly stupid looking :)

However, were I collector, I'd guess that would be a buy for $1500 and would be probably reasonable to purchase up to about $2200.

I can't see going much more than unless you have original case, paperwork etc.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Personally nothing . . i think flying v's are increadibly stupid looking :)

I'm neutral on Gibby V's, wouldn't buy one unless it was a really good deal... But those Deans, :shock: .... That headstock is horrible! Ugh!

BTW, what's he asking for it??

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Yeah, that silly headstock on the Dean Vees is pretty much an instant deal breaker for me, but you know who did it right? Floyd Rose of all people:

They make a flying V with a headstock similar to the Gibson one, only... "hollow" it's hard to explain and for the life of me I can't find a pic online, but I saw it in the Guitar Buyers guide that guitar world just put out and it actually worked!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@feldy)
Topic starter  

a couple hundred for this v and its orig case...no more than 3-4 hundred.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

If its a custom shop, any Gibson would be worth that, as long as it's in good condition. If it is, I think you got yourself a deal... :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I'd rather have my own guitar custom built at the finest shop, from the finest woods... 24 frets, double humbuckers, dual volume and tone knobs, floyd rose trem system... if you've ever seen the kirk hammett signature guitar (the one made by ESP), something along those lines with a strat style body. Basically a Flying V with a strat body, oh and I read in Guitar World about something Tom Morello has on his guitar, its some sort of a switch that does some pretty cool effects.

Of course, that'd cost alot more but I'd rather have it :lol:

And yes, I realise that that was pretty off topic, the point is that if i had the money for a custom edition, i'd go all out and buy something amazing.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, that silly headstock on the Dean Vees is pretty much an instant deal breaker for me, but you know who did it right? Floyd Rose of all people:

They make a flying V with a headstock similar to the Gibson one, only... "hollow" it's hard to explain and for the life of me I can't find a pic online, but I saw it in the Guitar Buyers guide that guitar world just put out and it actually worked!

It's hollow because it's purely decorative. The FR guitar uses special strings similar in concept to the double ball strings used by Steinbergers. The nut end of each string has a special molded metal end that mounts directly at the end of the fretboard -- no tuning machines or nut necessary.

Here's a Pic

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Nothing beats a Gibson LP.And you want to talk about vintage and singed ones well follow this link and get hundreds of those -

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search?d=tn&st=private_reserve&it=IR2J1&txt=1

Man , someday sure i would like to have one of these guitars (left handed though , yes i am one) 8)

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

It's hollow because it's purely decorative. The FR guitar uses special strings similar in concept to the double ball strings used by Steinbergers. The nut end of each string has a special molded metal end that mounts directly at the end of the fretboard -- no tuning machines or nut necessary.

Here's a Pic

How the heck do you tune these with no machine heads?

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Same way one does with all Floyd Rose trem systems -- with the micro-tuners on the trem/bridge. The difference is that because the strings are pre-cut for the guitar, there's no need to cut and wind them onto the tuner capstans, roughly tune up and then clamp them down with a locking nut. The FR string system replaces the head-end (rough) tuners, locking nut and the need to trim strings to length.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Nothing beats a Gibson LP.

You might find a "few" people who will argue that point.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Dean actually makes the only good-looking Vs in my opinion. I really like the headstock and the much 'milder' body. But that's just me.

ReplyQuote