Notifications
Clear all

How the Electric Guitar Killed My Technique

18 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I am really kinda surprised at this. It takes far more control to play electric than acoustic. An electric guitar amplifies every mistake you make. It takes a far lighter touch to play electric as well.

Unless you play with tons of distortion :roll:

Playing with lots of distortion covers up and hides many mistakes. Back off on the gain and you will hear them. If a player really wants to improve on electric they should practice with low gain or a clean tone.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

And because it takes a lighter touch you'll get used to not needing the muscles, so when you get back you'll get all the buzzing you'd expect from somebody not used to playing electric. It dont matter either way, if you dont practice either accoustic or electric it's going to sound bad after a while.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I think you've hit on the one of the possible reason why I think my Gibson LP hates me. :? I spend more time on my acoustic no doubt about it. When I get a chance to play my electric, I sound like crap. The are different animals for sure (as someone has already stated).
I think the answer is, give up your daytime job, forget about the lawn, taking out the garbage and cleaning the house. Just play guitar. At least I think that will get me close to where I want to be... :)
You might be better suited to a Fender type with not-so-light strings -- a guitar you wail on like an acoustic, cuz it fights back a bit. LPs? Hah! Don't even need calluses for those. :wink:

Ya know, I never thought of it that way. I need to go out and get a Strat now. Thanks man. I got GAS. :mrgreen:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2