Skip to content
How to fingerpick f...

Notifications
Clear all

How to fingerpick fast single-note lines?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@tfroberg)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Lately I've been working on some classical-style fingerpicking. The problem is, some of these pieces rely on rapid fire single note lines, which are meant to be articulated (as opposed to being played legato). How do I get these up to speed? The standard fingerpicking style I use (thumb on the bass strings, index finger on the G, middle finger on the B, etc.) just isn't fast enough...

Any ideas?

This space for rent

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

It'll come with practice... make sure you're using more then one finger and DON'T use rest-stroke (which is when you rest your finger on the next string after striking the string).

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member

The finger placement for classical is necessarily more loose. For arpeggiated stuff, the standard arrangement you have works, but you want to alternate (usually between i and m) on single note lines. I find that using 'a' is helpful for string crossings, but I'm quite the beginner so take what I say with a grain of salt.

~Sam

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

It'll come with practice... make sure you're using more then one finger and DON'T use rest-stroke (which is when you rest your finger on the next string after striking the string).

On the contrary. Practice chromatic scales with rest strokes at a metronome setting that you can maintain without making any mistakes. Practice tuplets, triplets, quadruplets. So 1,2 on a single note through the scale then 1,2,3 on the single note and on through the scale etc. This should be done very slowly. It is tedious but it will help you to gain control over your fingers. When you start using free strokes on the same chromatic scale, you will appreciate the time you spent.

Another simple finger exercise is to play E1234 this can be in any fret pos.
A1234
D1234
G1234
B1234
E1234
The point of the exercize is to plant your fingers once you have picked the note and don't move it until it is time to place it for the next note on the next string. This is important. If you don't follow those instruction exactly, it blows the whole point of the exercise. Namely, finger independance.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

Don't be so strict with just playing bass notes with your thumb and having IMA correspond to GBE. Alternate between I and M for the most part.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

There's also some trem studies where it's PAMI all on the first or second string, with the thumb just occasionally going off to sound a bass string. Good to not get restrictive so soon. :)

Best regards.

ReplyQuote