Clear all

how to tab out songs

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@voodoochildtwj)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

how do you pick out songs, my guitar teacher can just listen to a cd and already know how to play it i just wanted know how

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Practice.

It's really just a matter of doing it.

Start with something simple, like an accoustic 12-bar blues piece.

Since it's a 12-bar blues, you already know the basic song will be I-IV-V.

Now, listen and try to find the base note of the first chord. As soon as you do, you have the I chord, and since again, it's blues, you know it's proabably a dominant-7th chord.

Listen for the changes, and figure out the other chords.

Now listen again and pay attention to the strum patterns, listen for things like walking base lines, or little chord arpeggios.

Just listen and play . . and eventually you'll have figured out your first song.

It's not hard, but it is WORK. And the more you do it, the better you'll get.

It's also a very important step on becoming a musician. The most important skill a musician can have is being able to HEAR music. And figuring out songs on your own is a great way to develop that ear to the point where it can be used.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@voodoochildtwj)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thnx i will try to do that i tabbed out the cold shot solo but that was from luck because i was watching a srv dvd and saw where he was playing on the fret board and played around and nailed it haha

ReplyQuote