Clear all

Humidifier and cracking...

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

A friend told me that it's great using a humidifier, but to make sure that it is never inserted while dried out...the theory being that since it is in an enclosed space like your case, and is a sponge, it will reverse its intended purpose and actually suck out the moisture in the air and, subsequently, the guitar...makes sense to me, but has anyone ever heard of this before? :?

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Makes sense to me also. I actually saw one brand (can't remember the name) that is for summer and winter use. Dry in the summer to absorb moisture and damp in the winter to add moisture. In either case it completely covers the hole so it would seem to do what your friend said.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Boy oh boy, I don't think I can remember back into my science days, but I doubt that a sponge in a guitar humidifier will act as a dessicant.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I don't think that a sponge will draw moisture out of the air, such as rice or silica gel would. If the sponge is dry, it's dry - it won't become some sort of guitar vampire and suck the water out of your instrument.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If the humidifier is a sponge, there shouldn't be a problem. A sponge has a lot of surface area, and this works well for holding water in a liquid form. However, it cannot "pull" water vapor out of the air any more than does a table top at room temperature (no condensation). Notice that once a sponge is completely dry, it does not become damp again, even in humid atmospheric conditions -- it may take a long time to dry, but it won't "rewet" itself.

A dessicant is a substance that is hygroscopic -- it binds with moisture in liquid or vapor form. Unlike a simple sponge, a dessicant does suck water vapor out of the air.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Sounds like Nils is talking about the Kyser humdiifier - that's the one I use. I think the idea for the winter is not to draw the humidity out, but by completely covering the soundhole it'll help keep the humdity out in the first place.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote