Clear all

I got a new guitar teacher

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

david shankle who was the guitarist for manowar during there triumph of steele album era.

my old teacher i didn't feel was very good at teaching, and every week it was more me watching him play rather then me accualy playing. he would try to teach me a technique, and would over power my guitar so i can't even hear myself and then procedes to tell me that its too hard for me. he even told me not to learn anything offline, and just to listen to him. hes the same guy who told me to forget the harmonic minor scale, and gave me the BS major pentatonic scale that isnt the major pentatonic scale.

so i start with the new one tomarrow.

i reccomend you guys check out his new band DSG

http://www.davidshanklegroup.com

check out the videos under downloads. his playing is insane.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

xSSx

Looks like you are going to be learning some metal licks! :twisted:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

he teaches all styles, he went to college for jazz guitar and classical guitar as well.

im gonna tell him exactly what i want.

i want to be able to play in all styles, i wanna learn a lot of scales in all positions and know how to apply them, i wanna be able to shred (c'mon hes a shredder he has to make me into one too ahaha) i wanna know how to make riffs, and songs using certain scales, and have them have the tonality of that scale. i wanna be able to get my music reading up to par.

i basically wanna be the best guitar player i can be, and a versatile one.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

i basically wanna be the best guitar player i can be, and a versatile one.

That is one of the GREATEST goals you can have. Well said!

Good luck with your new teacher and I'm glad to hear you ditched your old one on the behalf of his bad teaching habits. I went to ONE teacher for three lessons and he played TOOOOOO much for my liking. Needless to say……… there was no forth lesson.

Happy pickin'!!!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

As a very general rule, teachers shouldn't play much at lessons. I probably play 5 minutes out of half an hour - and most of that is in direct accompaniment, so the student can hear their mistakes against my playing. I might play for most of a lesson if a student is working in improv, but otherwise my job is to sit, listen, watch, and coach. (Teaching improv is much harder, by the way - I need to divorce my own mind from my hands and focus on what they're doing!)

As a goal, "being a better guitar player" I hear from probably 1/4 of my students... more than half have no stated goals at all , and less than a quarter have specific ones. "Being better" is pretty darn broad - anything I show that you couldn't do before makes you 'better'.... but does it fit with what you really want?

Sometimes a teacher can elicit good goals - like "I want to understand how chord progressions work" or "I want to improve my picking motion" or "I want to be able to improvise over a minor blues progression" or even "I want to be able to play song x". Most of the time, we're left guessing. When I have to guess, I'm going along 'classic' music education - I'm going to teach reading, theory, correct fundamental problems in posture and attack, work on ear training, etc. None of that is bad stuff to know - but is it what you want to know right now?

Watching a teacher play shouldn't be most of a lesson, ever. That bears repeating: EVER! If you ever have a teacher that can only do watch-repeat training, and you have second thoughts about it (because it does work for SOME folks), run away! Even though about twice a lesson, on average, I may say "watch my right hand" or "watch my left hand" while I play through the example a student is working on, it's shorthand - it's really a way of saying "I can't explain what you're doing wrong quickly in words - maybe this will help". If it doesn't help, I have to simplify, take the motion into basic elements, and try to find words/musical examples/exercises that will break through the current impasse.

My take on teaching: if what you're doing isn't working, try something else. Showing a riff 20 times won't do it if the first two-three times didn't. A teacher MUST communicate how to do it - example is only one way. And if a teacher tells you to not listen to anyone but him/her... well, the ego is probably bigger than the teaching ability in that situation, IMHO.

But congrats on finding a teacher you mesh with!

Oh, and disclaimer/afterthought - the majority of my studeants are beginner/intermediate guitarists. If you study with a teacher who specializes in advanced level lessons, and that's the way they teach, you may just have to grin and bear it, and get from them what you can.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

yea im very excited, i start today

anyone get a chance to check out the videos at his site?

ReplyQuote