Clear all

I Organized My Song List.... Finally

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I finally did it. I've been working on it for about 7 or 8 weeks. Due to an illness that's still with me, I've been only able to put in 30-60 minutes here and there, but it's done.

To begin with, my song sheets were a mess. I had one big pile I played from mostly, with 3 smaller piles I touched from time to time. I was learning a bunch of songs, but only getting 95% of the way there. Few got comitted to memory, and some might not get played at all in a 1 or 2 month span. I had over 250 songs that I at least fiddled with, and 125 songs I intend to work on when my ear can handle. I split them up into two categories. Hard Rock or Lighter - Medium Music.

For the lighter - Medium music, I selected only songs that I've done fairly well. That brought the list down to about 105 songs. I split them into 5 "sets" of 21.

Following a different criteria, I also created a similar list for the hard stuff. The criteria here was that I did not have to have already tried them. Some I have, but most I have not. My ear and head has not taken to louder music for months, so I've been doing mostly lighter stuff for a long time. This list got up to 120 songs. I split them into 6 sets of 21. I'll be working on these, by groups, once my head heals.

So, my intention is this. Work on one light-medium set at a time. Get better and memorize the songs. Continue on to other sets doing the same thing until I've reached all 5 sets or come to an obvious capacity issue, at which time I'll re-group. Meanwhile, work on a much smaller portion of a set for the harder stuff that I still need to learn. I'll probably work on 2 or 3 at a time, eventually building up my hard rock "skill" to match my mellow music skill. I can probably do 8 of them now decently, and there are a few in the light-medium group that could probably be moved over that I already know.

Oh, and the biggest tools used for all of this were a bunch of plain file folders, a folder holder and Microsoft Excel.

Hokey Dokey, well, I just thought I'd share.

Anyone else do anything to organize their play-lists?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin