Skip to content
Identify my Ibanez-...

Notifications
Clear all

Identify my Ibanez-ish perhaps-fake electric guitar!

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@invictious)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I bought this guitar off for about $65 (hehe, but the quality is actually pretty fine, believe it or not, yes its 2nd hand)

It looks like an Ibanez, but there is no label at all at the headstock
I think it's an Ibanez Fake

Specs:
Humbucker pickups (not sure)
2 knobs added (volume and tone)
1 switch added (pickup selector)
1 pick holder added

Thats all it was changed when i Bought it, I am sure

Here are some pics

Thanks in advance. I am sure its an Ibanez, but probably in Ibanez Fake. What model?

(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

I bought this guitar off for about $65 (hehe, but the quality is actually pretty fine, believe it or not, yes its 2nd hand)
It looks like an Ibanez, but there is no label at all at the headstockAnd nothing (serial number, etc.) engraved/stamped on the plate where the neck joins the body? Those big "horns" at the cutaways are definitely suggestive of an Ibanez style body, though.
Nice color scheme.
Humbucker pickups (not sure)Unless the neck and middle pups are "stacked singlecoils," it looks to me like you've got two singlecoils over a bridge humbucker, an S-S-H arrangement.
If it turns out that there's a serial number on the neck plate, that will go a long way toward figuring out the model and year. If it does have "Ibanez" stamped on the plate, then maybe somebody at Ibanez Collectors World can provide more information.

It looks pretty sharp. If it sounds as good as it looks, you've gotten a good deal.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

it slooks really neat. not an Ibanez though for sure. headstock isn't the right shape.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

it slooks really neat. not an Ibanez though for sure. headstock isn't the right shape.I wondered about that, too, but didn't follow up on it. It does kinda look like certain models by SX, including the headstock shape. They list one that's available in a "Metallic Silver" color scheme, but I didn't see any of theirs with the S-S-H pickup configuration. I s'pose it could be an S-S-S that was modified by a previous owner, or a discontinued model.
See http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar.html to compare with Invictious' pics. The SEG1 and PSEG1 look pretty close.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

hmmm, 24 frets.

i got out my own ibanez and held it up to the screen for comparison. the horns don't match, so i'd say 100% it's not an Ibanez. the coloring matches Rondo's Silverbust color. i think you've got something from Rondo. Rondo guitars also seem to have 24 frets on the models that match your pictures.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

There are a number who seem to use a similar shaped headstock, not only for Ibanez copies, but also for Fenders - I think Hohner is one does it.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I don't think it's an Ibanez because of the heastock shape. I don't think however that it really is that importnat. If it's good quality, then that's all that matters. You seem to have gotten a good deal on a guitar, so let that sink in before you start worrying about the brand!

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@last-day-living)

I think it looks like a Jackson.

ReplyQuote
(@invictious)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok, the Pickups suck like hell, and I have ernie ball strings.

Since its brandless, I shall get the numberings on the headstock off, and CUSTOMIZE it like hell, so its 'custom'

Custom painting comes first!

Can anyone help me identify the serial number? It is TGX431, and it says Tokyo too.

SO its probably somewhere along the lines of Toyama, Ibanez and Yamaha.

here are some larger pictures

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Now I am going to customize it, but its great to know the brand and things like that.

There are a few chips here and there, but I want an instrument, not a piece of art.

Really, thanks for all your inputs

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

You should paint a picture of yourself on it... maybe in grayscale or something, that'd be pretty cool. Kind of like tatoos of yourself on yourself, or shirts with your picture on it... just as examples.

Nah, I'm just kidding, but seriously....... think about it.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote