Clear all

Improving Rhythm playing

14 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@kidzer)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Good afternoon folks, I hope I find you all well.

I made a discovery this morning, I derive much more satisfaction in playing Rhythm guitar, than lead parts, so i've decided to make '07 my 'Year of Rhythm'!

I usually do some basic finger exercises to help improve my playing (playing through scales, chromatic scale all the way down to 12th fret to improve dexterity etc), does anyone have any exercises that specifically target Rhythm playing (my guitar hero: James Hetfield from Metallica, if that helps), with the exeption of regular downpicking excercise, which I do anyways.

Any help greatfully received :)

David

(@boxboy)
Noble Member

The 'Bo Diddley' beat. 8)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Man, we need Jeff B. from Riverside Jam fame to chime in on this one.

He plays rhythm like you don't need lead.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Man, we need Jeff B. from Riverside Jam fame to chime in on this one.

He plays rhythm like you don't need lead.

+1 on that.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ab0msnwman)
Estimable Member

i would just practice songs you like

work on your triplet "gallops" and on both your downstroking AND upstroking

study theory.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

study theory. What does that "gallop" look like in tab?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

try to emulate funky strumming patterns. try to come up with original strumming patterns, and try to play layered rhythms and polyrhythms, where you play a different rhythm on the bass and treble strings. also, learn more chord progressions and song structures.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

study theory. What does that "gallop" look like in tab?

Like everything else, that's the fun with tab. For more information on them, check wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuplet

In short, a 'quarter triplet' means that you play three notes (all lasting equally long) in the time you'd usually only play two. Now when you remove the 2nd one you get a blues shuffle: 1---3-1---3-1---3-1---3-1---3-1---3- etc

Now if you play all those notes as straight eight-notes instead of triplets you'll be playing rock 'n roll instead of blues. Same chords, different rhythm.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but my way of practising is to take whatever I'm working on, play it through 'straight' a few times and then start improvising. So with scales, I play them up and down in order a couple of times to loosen up and refresh my memory of the pattern - then go off into improving and experimenting - because that's how I learn how the sounds really work together. And ultimately that's my goal - not just to be able to copy music, but to be able to generate it.

Same with chords. I jot down a list of a few chords in the same key, play them through a few times - just to check my fingers know where to go - and then on to the fun part, mixing them all up, trying different orders, different rhythms, different picking patterns or whatever.

I might start with a small group of the most common chords in a key (say 3 of them) and then work up from there, adding or changing chords along the way to see what can be done with them.

So I might start with C, G and F, fiddle with them for a while and then add another chord. It might be a 'new' one - say Dm - or a variation such as C7 or G7.

But it's all about fun and experimentation. I might take C, G7, C7 and F and play a version of with "When the Saints go Marching in" and then start mucking about and turn it into "Froggy went a courting" with the C, G7 and F, or whatever.

Or I might find a change that sounds interesting in some way and just go backwards and forwards between two chords trying out all sorts of different rhythms and speeds with the right hand, and see what comes out of it.

It all sounds very undisciplined, but it suits me and keeps me playing, which is all that really matters. Along the way I'm practising chords, learning about keys, intervals, rhythms, touch, and all sorts of handy stuff, but in a fun way. Not everybody's style though... :wink:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm also one of nature's rhythm guitarists....for practising rhythm guitar, I like to put a CD on and play along....even better if you've got an amp with two inputs, play the CD thru the amp....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ab0msnwman)
Estimable Member

yeah as stated a "gallop" is just a triplet so where as one eighth note would normally equal two sixteenths, if you play it as triplets you would squeeze in 3 16ths.

listen to a lot of metal is what I would say. If you like metallica listen to maiden and megadeth to get started they have some awesome rhythms that are relatively easy and really tight

oh and megadeth pretty much just rocks haha

mustaine > hetfield

hehe my opinion!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

UFO's Doctor Doctor is a great guitar-rock classic with a gallop (after the lighter-waving intro), and the rhythm has a little run-down over each chord change which really helps illustrate what's going in to making the gallop work. Definately one to try when you're starting out with galloping.

Snowman: Not just yours :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@monkfunk)

I would say practice strumming and doing it with a metronome...

remember rhythm is up and downs on your strum, that is it, just up and down and up and down, nothing else, if your right hand is in time, then your rhythm will be perfect...

try this

1. pick a chord
2. strum up down up down
3. do this over and over with a metronome...

repeat with step 2 in different rhythmic variations such as:

down=V
up=U

1. VVU
2. UUV
3. VUVUVV
4. UVUVUU - this one is funky

make up your own and you will increase your rhythm and strumming overnight!

Take Your Guitar Playing to the Next Level - Ultimate Guitar
My Review of the Best Online Guitar Teaching System

ReplyQuote
(@kidzer)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Cheers folks, I shall take it all onboard and see how I get on :)

Ironically, on deciding I want to play more rhythm, I work up this morning and could do 3 string sweeps rather well, how odd...

ReplyQuote