Notifications
Clear all

In A Rut!!!!

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

I was in a really bad rut when I first picked up guitar, all I would do was print out tabs try to learn them, get stuck somewhere and only know a few portions of a few songs. Then I tried learning theory and always got way too confused and thought, "If I can't understand the basics, I'll never understand the complicated stuff!'' So I gave up on theory. I would play off and on for a few days at a time, never really getting anywhere.

Fo the past few months I have been playing constantly, atleast 1 hour a day but usually around 3 hours and occassionally something like 5-6 hours. I just kept learning chords and would create strumming choruses and go into psychedelic noodleing solos. My justifications always was, "Screw theory, play with your soul!":lol: That really opened me up to having fun playing guitar. But there would be times where nothing creative would come (I was basically just messing around with chords and improvising solos) so I would put it down and pick it up a few hours later or a day later.

Even more recently, last week, I have really been trying to delve into theory. I am finally starting to see the big picture and filling in the details. This keeps me from having to put down the guitar when nothing creative comes, because I can focus on technical and theory-based playing.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2