Skip to content
I've been playing f...

Notifications
Clear all

I've been playing for exactly two months now...so...

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

how am I doing?

For the past month I went basically with what the book said, on single notes. You know, songs like Jingle Bells and stuff. I'm damn good at playing those. And going by the book, I can play music on frets 1-5 on strings G, B and e. Then I went through a phase of going to tabs, to improve my playing ability just all together. And wow, the improvement is dramatic. My playing is more more cleaner and it seemed like my experiment would work. So, then I went back to real music notes, and I was much better, and cleaner, as I was with tabs.

Chords. I don't practice those much yet. I'm probably better at "soloing" than I am switching from C to G7, or G7 to D right now. But that's not a problem. I started practicing those chords throughout the past three weeks. And I've seen improvement, much more improvement.

Right now I mostly have problems with timing. I have a hard time counting in my head when it comes to reading music. But if I know the song, I do fine.

A song that I've been trying to learn is Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix. I'm great at the beginning, but obviously I can't come close to playing the chords right now. But, it seems possible since there is only 4 or 5 chords in the song.

So yea, how does it sound like I've been doing? I've only be practicing (on average...1 hour and 30 minutes a day), but lately I've been practicing close to 2 hours.

Also, what do you think I should focus on next? Since I can get by on single notes, probably chords, right? Anything else?

(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

your doing great Kevin...there is really no hard and fast rule as to what you should learn first or second...it all becomes a whole eventually

...the timing!!!

most here say use a metronome and yes it does play a part....but to me timing or more importantly 'rhythm' is a feel thing and by far the best way to get that is to listen to your favourite music....i mean really listen......

by doing that you hear the cues....first beat emphasis,drum beats etc....as you listen try to get into the 'groove'.....tap out the rhythm,count too...trust me you'll get what i mean :roll:

feel is what its all about....mechanical sounds awful...so get listening....its the easiest practice you'll ever do :lol: :lol:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Kevin, you're young (absorbent) and you are putting in substantial practice time -- therefore, you are likely leaving a lot of us in the dirt! :lol:

You've gotten active in the songwriting forums, too.

If you're having fun, which you seem to be, then you've got it all goin' on. 8)

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Your doing great, I wish I had been so organised and focused in my first few months.

+1 for Ballybiker for feeling the music rather than being mechanical this is probably one of the most important parts of playing.

I try to play along with backing tracks that come with guitar magazines rather than with the original because you can hear yourself better. The one thing that really helps me with timing is recording myself, when you play it back its easier to hear where your going wrong, I find it hard to play and listen at the same time if you know what i mean.

As for what to learn next its entirely up to you and what type of things you want to play.

Good luck

Stevie

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You are doing just fine. I agree with Ballybiker, timing is a feeling. I know it sounds cliche', but you've got to really "get into" the music. As my old bass player used to say, "you've got to get into the groove". You have to really listen with intensity. Man, when I play I am literally dancing all the time. I have always tapped my foot to keep time, but I move my whole body. I go all over the place when I play because I am literally dancing to the music. My guitar cords always get tied up in knots. :D

Ever see early videos of Angus Young of AC/DC? Man, he would bob his head up and down and run all over the stage. I read an interview, he said he was doing that to keep time, not to show-off.

Check out this video, this is Angus keeping time.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8818nXbjuiY

Learn to tap your foot with an even beat at all times. This is very important. But move your whole body to the music... dance to it. Your timing will improve a lot.

Just keep playing, you are on the right track.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ballybiker- Ah yea, I tried with a mentronome, but meh. I really don't get. I know it's a simple machine. But it distracts me from playing guitar to the point where I'm listening for the beats. And yea, I try to keep a rhythm.

Margaret- Thanks. Yea, writing songs has helped me get better at guitar. I don't know, just because I say to myself "hey...I'll go play around a bit now and see what I can come up with for this song".

ste222- I wouldn't say it's organized. I often went two or three days without playing. But then the next two days I'd play for 3 hours each. It's not that I'm bored with it on those days I don't do it (I love it)...it's just there isn't enough tim eon a day. THat's why I said on average. And yea, no doubt, it's easier playing with backing tracks. It's tough to find good ones though. Thanks.

Wes- Thanks. Ah yea, I get into it when I'm feeling it and I'm always tapping my foot. And yea, Angus Young is crazy, lol. I noticed the way he was moving his knees back and fourth, it was consistent. So yea, he is using it as timing for sure.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Kevin

Yeah, Angus is a little over the top, but that's why he is so great.

But you can see his older brother Malcolm in the background, he was Rockin' pretty hard too. :D

So, you don't have to act like a maniac on stage, but move to the music, feel the music, that's all.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

:shock: That AC/DC video is just crazy!!! 8)

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i'm with wes, i'm not a stand still guitar player, i realy feel it esspecially if i'm
gigging, i'm not like angus ( nobody is like angus ) but i bob my head and tap my foot
and walk around alot 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Kevin

Yeah, Angus is a little over the top, but that's why he is so great.

But you can see his older brother Malcolm in the background, he was Rockin' pretty hard too. :D

So, you don't have to act like a maniac on stage, but move to the music, feel the music, that's all.
Oh, of course. You can't be 'fake' on stage. Sometimes it'd be completely obvious. Whatever happens, happens. If you suddenly just get the urge to do what he does, then let it go. But don't think "I'm gonna do this next." Jimi Hendrix once said that when he played guitar behind his back or with his teeth, it was just instinct. It just happened.

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Instead of a metronome try using a drum loop. I can't stand a metronome either but find a drum beat much easier to play along with. Plus it sounds more like music that way.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

I have to agree with the drum loop thing. Give me some drums and I can keep time all night long. Well some of the time.

Turn a metronome on and I go to pieces. I am slowly getting better with the metronome through perseverance but I prefer drum loops.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
 Arue
(@arue)

To learn the rhythm of a song, I'll usually:

1) count the beats out aloud while I read the notes: "ONE-two-three-four-ONE-two-three-four"
2) count the beats out aloud while I clap my hands where the notes fall
3) "talk out" the notes of a song: "Da da da daaaa da da da da da daaa daaa." -- while clapping or tapping for the beat if I need it.
4) Only then actually pick up my instrument.

This is what's helped me in studying the recorder, where you're often playing ensemble pieces where everyone has a different rhythm and it's VERY important to stay in time. :)

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

You are doing just fine. There is no time table for what you should/shouldn't. When I first started I thought learning was a race.

On the thing about timing I may disagree with many or at least have a different approach. In the very early stages I think you want to have perfect timing against a metronome and sound mechanical. After that you can creat your own groove.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote