Clear all

James Burton Guitar Festival

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So I just got back from the James Burton Guitar Festival (which I didnt know was going on until I was on my way home), and I had a blast. Mr. Burton was in Line 6's booth when I first got there with someone (dont remember who), and I got to see a guitar clinic by Doyle Dykes. I'm going river rafting tomorrow (just to be good to my word) or I'd try to make the concert they're having.

They had the Gibson tour bus there, although they didnt let me in (darn!). The Gibson booth had a bunch of their high end LPs hooked up to PODxt's so people could listen to how it sounded, and it was awsome. I sat down with the gold-top reissue and I'm in love....I just didnt look pitiful enough for them to give me one ;)

I did win a Line 6 Tap Trem pedal from their booth, and I picked up a digitech 1650 distortion pedal, so I've got a couple of toys to play with over the next couple of days. I think we're going back Sunday, and hopefully I'll look pitiful enough to get a guitar then.

Anyway, the point is that it was so much fun watching a couple of guitar clinics, seeing James Burton (and yes, a couple of booths had paisly tele's), and jamming. I nearly bought a vintage tube overdrive pedal, but the guy had it marked up like 100% of what he paid for it (I know because the sticker on it had the price he paid, and he admitted it).

If anyone is near Shreveport, LA this weekend, check it out. $5 for the guitar trade show, and a bunch of money for the concert they're having tomorrow (dont know how much tickets were...I wasnt allowed that close since I promised I was going rafting).

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Wow, sound like you had a bit of fun and a rafting trip to boot.
I wish more of that kind of stuff was around here.
You would think there should be being so close to Motown and all.

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

As far as I know, we dont usually get things like this. Usually it's just gun and knife shows around here :)

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I wish they had shows like this by me! I wonder where I can find out if they do?

Congrats!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

James Burton....the name rings a bell...wasn't he Elvis' guitarist in the early days? If it's the same guy I'm thinking of, he must be getting on a bit by now....gotta be late 60's, early 70's....he was a pretty good guitarist on those old r'n'r classics, but after 50 years of playing those records, I bet he can do them in his sleep!!!!

Sounds like you had a blast though,

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

http://www.james-burton.net/
This James Burton?

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Actually, I believe he replaced someone else and was with Elvis until he died. I know he was with a few other people too, although off the top of my head I dont remember who. However, he I believe he is in his 60s somewhere.

I gotta say, he is a great guitarist. I got a t-shirt with him holding his paisley Tele. I'll put a pic of the t-shirt up if I remember.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Here is a bio
http://www.tsimon.com/burton.htm

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So I went back to the guitar fest on Sunday and I had a blast. I didnt win anything this time, but there was a lot of swag (some shot glasses, a few t-shirts, ect). I ended up getting 2 crate t-shirts and getting my pic taken with the largest working amp in the world (2x 16x12" speaker cabs and a 600W head if I remember correctly) for $5. Then I went and picked up a Powered by Lace humbucker for my washburn, which was about half of what I've seen them going for (it sounds absolutely beautiful).

My girlfriend was nice enough to get me a shirt that said "No Job, No Money, No Car, but I'm in a band". She's great.

Needless to say, I came back a happy man. I saw some really great guitar players, got to play some guitars that I'm going to buy once I have the money, got to talk to some guys that are trying to put in a concert hall in Ledbetter Heights (named for Leadbelly), and just had a good time wandering around the festival.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote