Jazz

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I've been interested in combining jazz into blues soloing. My former teacher would be perfect for teaching me how to do this, he's like the jazz master of New York ;) ... But I don't go to him anymore, just no free time for it...

So what would be the best wasy to do this?

Any jazz scales I can incorporate into the A minor pentatonic?

Any ideas?

Thanks chums... haha,

Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I'm reminded of the song, "Riviera Paradise" by Stevie Ray Vaughan whenever someone talks about the combination of Jazz and Blues, listen to that song and you'll get what I mean.

In reality the blues is just a minor pentatonic lead played over a major key (however, this is a big generalisation, the blues can be alot of things) so if I were to want to write something jazz with a blues lead, I would listen to alot of jazz and study up on it: i'm not a big fan of jazz so I can't really tell you where to start. Once you know a fair amount about jazz, study up on blues leads... then simply combine the two: just remember that what gives blues it's bluesy flavour is the minor lead over a major key.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@olive)
Estimable Member

Have you taken a look at the GN Jazz articles?

https://www.guitarnoise.com/jazz.php

There are quite a few that discuss incorporating blues lines in jazz.

"My ex-boyfriend can't tell me I've sold out, because he's in a cult, and he's not allowed to talk to me." --Dar Williams

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Example:
12-bar blues in A using a standard shuffle, with an Am blues-scale solo over it. Now let's make it a bit more jazzier/funkier:

replace the shuffle by playing the following chords:
A7 [5 7 5 6 5 5]
D9 [x 5 4 5 5 x]
E9 [x 7 6 7 7 x]
E9*[x 7 6 7 8 x]

A7-D9-A7-A7
D9-D9-A7-A7
E9-D9-A7-E9*

Use strict 8th notes, muted downstrokes, ringing upstrokes (off-beat). Sounds a lot more like jazz, but still recognizably a blues-bar. Then use both major and minor pentatonic for solo, and make heavy use of 7th and 9th arpeggio's to spice it up. Still obviously blues, but... different.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Use strict 8th notes, muted downstrokes, ringing upstrokes (off-beat). Sounds a lot more like jazz, but still recognizably a blues-bar.

Also try this: bass note on downbeat followed by top three strings on upbeat -- works well fingerstyle.

Two things about jazz ...

While it has become "standard" in notation to write many jazz lines as eighth notes, in practice, they are seldom played that way. Instead, as one develops a feeling for jazz, the groove shifts to playing a pair of eighths as a triplet with either the first and second or (more commonly) the second and third notes of the triplet tied.

There are many jazzy blues tunes and bluesy jazz tunes, but to a hardcore jazz player, the term jazz blues generally connotes a jazz progression in twelve bars that incorporates a turnaround phrase. Many of these progressions and the jazz blues soloing that goes with them would be unrecognizable to most of us as the familiar I-IV-V blues.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@hughm)
Trusted Member

http://www.torvund.net/guitar/index.asp

Olav's site is a real delight. His lessons are not specifically jazz oriented, but if you poke around you'll find lots of jazz-inspired blues stuff.

ReplyQuote