Clear all

Jumbo Acoustic - General Advice sought

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have a Taylor 314 (which my playing level can't really justify...) and a Chinese 'Vintage'* Jumbo. I like them both, but since buying the Jumbo I kind of wish I'd bought a quality 'bigger sound' guitar than the 314. I've always liked the idea of belting out a sing-along tune and at the time I bought the 314 I just found dreadnoughts uncomfortable to hold and didn't really know what a Jumbo was.

Anyway, the guitar I keep looking at, based on seeing who has done what with it, is a Gibson SJ200. But at £2000 (so thats nearly $4000 in US money!) its not something I am about to rush out and buy. I can afford it if I really want it, but there are other options. After I bought the Taylor I tried a hand built guitar by a local luthier and it was gorgeous, so I could get him to build me a Jumbo for £1500.

So my question is, who has played a Gibson SJ200 and what did you think of it? And what about other guitars for 'beltig out a sing-along tune'? Unplugged is for me, no electronics required.

Over to you and thanks in advance.

P.S. How does the Epiphone 200 compare to the Gibson, is it only a tenth as good - its only a tenth the price!

*Vintage brand: http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageacoustic.html