Skip to content
just notice somethi...

Notifications
Clear all

just notice something with my strumming!

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Everytime I change chords I always put in a double mute type thing in between without even noticing. It has become second nature, and is hardly noticeable. It's because I'm going DUDUDUDU, and my left hand is about as fast as it can get when changing chords, but my right keeps going. I blame it on my loose strumming. Which I don't think is actually that bad of a thing. Anyone else do this?

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@timezone)
Estimable Member

More often than not I get some open strings in between chord changes, but I do the mute thing sometimes too. Depends on what you're playing, but both techniques are useful. Play around w/ it!
TZ

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Gotta love those Em11 chords!

:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@redhot)

I actually just posted about this in a thread about a guy having problems changing chords with speed. I've been playing for years and am now ridding myself of that habit. Try focusing on it more, I'm willing to bet you can get the change down fast enough to not do that. It's seems silly but after 4-5 years of playing I've been practicing my major and minor open chords for about 40mins each day; and guess what; I actually got better at playing the M and mi chords. I thought if there was anything I could play best it would be those, and I'm finding there's room for improvement.

Oh, and as far as blaming your strumming hand, I could be under the wrong impression, but it kinda sounds more like a fretting hand issue. As long as you always keep you strum in rhythm the problem is likely with the fretting hand (ie: not speedy enough to make it from a G shape to an A shape while keeping rhythm)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

same here re: post about chord changing speed.
I let the open strings sound between my fast changes. it is a common technique with uncommon results.
too many players are afraid of the space between chords. I see it as an opportunity for sustain; let that beat count in there exist.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Personally I just naturally thorw all those things in as well.

I really don't see them as a bad thing though, because muted strings have a completely different effect and add to the rhythm and sound I'm going for.

Sometimes it's nice just to bash out some open strings linked by one or two fingers that form a kind of passing chord thing. Infact, I think perfect changes all the time would be pretty boring. Besides, I wouldn't have been able to find the sound I was looking for in one of the latest songs I wrote if it wasn't for hitting an open low E between chords.

It's probably best that you learn how to play without those habits, but I like those personal styles that develop, because everyone will have different ones.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote