Clear all

Kramers...

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@itchard)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So I brows Music-Yo now and then, and I've seen the Kramer Strikers on the site.

Now since "Black Friday", those guitars have gone down to $160, which is about £80 (just over).

For a guitar like that i think £80 is well worth it...apart from the fact the bridges are hard to set up, I may get one.

I understand that Music-Yo and eBay are basically the only places on the planet you can get one from. I don't usually do internet purchasing when it comes to guitars because I like to play it but..for this price it seems good.

Has anybody played a Kramer before? They seem (and probably are) kinda cheap but...this looks like a (sort of) good deal. Any advice on what to do?

----------------------------

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Be very, very carefull with cheap Floyd Rose bridges. They are tough enough to deal with when working fine, but when a cheap Floyd gets worn down (and I've seen some budget guitars where that had happenend within a year!) you'll end up with a guitar that won't stay in tune after you've finally got it that far. Even though I never played it I would be extremely cautious of buying such a guitar.

Besides that, this guitar definitely falls under the 'how cheap can we make a floyd guitar' group, and almost always that means that the pups and fretboard are even worse then usual in this pricerange. My suggestion: if you want a floyd, save some more cash and get a more reliable guitar. Seems a big guess ordering one of these.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

uhh..you rang?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@drpool)
Eminent Member

I had one of the hollow body Nightriders with the FR for about a month. I could not keep it in tune and it was very unfriendly to string changes or most any kind of adjustment. Music Yo was totally cool about a refund and immediately took the guitar back under the warranty. The service rep I spoke with was very clear telling me that they had many of these come back due to problems with the Floyd. I must say the guitar itself was wonderful. I purchased the stop tail version once I returned the FR version and it was very nice as well.

Bottom Line: I would definitely buy from Music Yo again but I would be very careful with the FR models. Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member

I had one of the hollow body Nightriders with the FR for about a month. I could not keep it in tune and it was very unfriendly to string changes or most any kind of adjustment. Music Yo was totally cool about a refund and immediately took the guitar back under the warranty. The service rep I spoke with was very clear telling me that they had many of these come back due to problems with the Floyd. I must say the guitar itself was wonderful. I purchased the stop tail version once I returned the FR version and it was very nice as well.

Bottom Line: I would definitely buy from Music Yo again but I would be very careful with the FR models. Good luck.
so would the nightrider without the FR be a good purchase?
http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=450
is that the correct version?

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@drpool)
Eminent Member

so would the nightrider without the FR be a good purchase?
http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=450
is that the correct version?

I think that's a great deal. I paid $199 for mine and was very happy with it. I only sold it due to the fact that the neck was way too clubby for my hands. I also prefer a 24.75 scale neck but neither of these things are to be blamed on the Nightrider. Here's a pic of the one I had:

[/img]

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Don't know if this helps, but I had a Kramer many years ago back in the early 80's when the Eddie Van Halen craze was going on. It had one humbucker with the Floyd Rose and locking nut. It was really a pretty good guitar and sounded very good.

You gotta know how to set up a Floyd Rose or they're nothing but trouble. You want to put the tuning screws on the rear of the bridge in their center position. This allows you to tune up or down. You have to have spring tension adjusted so the bridge floats parallel to the body of the guitar when the guitar is in tune. If you like down tunings you will have to adjust the spring tension. When you have the rear tuners in the middle and the bridge floating parallel when the guitar is in tune, then you tighten down the locking nuts.

But it will still go out of tune. Why do you think they put those tuning screws on the rear? If you use the whammy bar a lot it will always go out of tune, I don't care how expensive it is.

And this is just a personal opinion, but I hate locking nuts. They are worthless. If you use the whammy bar a lot, they guitar will go out of tune. It doesn't matter if the strings are locked down, strings stretch with time. So even if you have the rear tuners in the correct position, they will run out of travel.

I always just took the locking nuts off. Useless. Now when it goes out of tune (and it will), you simply use your tuners on your headstock to quickly (and easily) tune back to pitch. Much better than using those rear tuning screws.

With a Floyd Rose you will run out of travel with the rear tuners. You will have to unloose the locking nut anyway. You will have to reset the rear tuners in the middle and tune to correct pitch with the headstock tuners. Then lock everything down again. What a hassle. Sorry, but these FRs are hype IMHO.

Just a personal opinion. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

I played a 70's kramer w/floyd rose(the real deal) just last summer. It played like a dream, but it was kinda heavy. Didn't have any tuning problems with it so if kramer has kept up on quality control i would say go for it.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@itchard)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hmm..thanks for all the help.

I'm not especially a FR fanatic (I'm not really into metal or anything) but I was just looking for something cheap that I could bash around...I heard some pretty good reviews about this (apart from the bridge).

Lesson learned: don't dabble in stuff thats going to be a bitch unless you know what you're doing :D

ReplyQuote