Skip to content
last 2 days I have ...

Notifications
Clear all

last 2 days I have no will power to learn.

37 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Personally, I think it's easy to get obsessed with gear (I'm dropping in late on this discussion so I apologize if this is a tangent). I suspect that the greats learned their chops before they even had decent gear. (Didn't Bill Wyman secure his place in the Stones by being the only one who owned an amp? Robert Johnson certainly didn't collect a lot of fancy gear, did he?)

And I think having a teacher can be an advantage as well. A good teacher can keep you grounded with realistic coaching and criticism and help you discover your strengths and weaknesses.

Just a few probably irrelevant thoughts. But if you need a break, take a break. No harm, no foul.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

The last 2 day's I've had no will power to pick up my guitar but mainly for like 20 minutes, So Am I on that dreaded platoue everyone speaks of? or am I burned out a little bit?
What I've found as a beginner is, that when I don't play for 2 days and come back to a song I was practicing, all the fingers have remembered their programming and fall on the junction of fret and string (in the right places) at the right time.
Not sure why they do that.
Maybe it took two days for the brain to process what I was trying to teach my fingers.
These are mystiques of the guitar and the brain . . . . two awesome instruments of torture and pleasure.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

There you go Derek....that can be your new stage name....

"The Darkslide"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Ok sorry for the guitar being a little dirty, I need to clean her tonight.

It's a guitar, not a coffee table.....dirty = well played = added mojo. That guitar's got mojo.
There you go Derek....that can be your new stage name...."The Darkslide"

ROFLMAO, I like it! Gone over to the dark slide - has a really cool ring to it, doesn't it! *Puts on best Darth Vader voice*......... "Strange - the blues are strong in this one!"

And on a related subject - I suggested a couple of songs in open D earlier in this thread, Derek - you probably rejected them as not being bluesy enough. Errrm, you could MAKE them bluesy.....look at the way Joe Cocker did "I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends," and compare with the Beatles rather "poppy" version.....blues isn't just a style of playing, or a set of scales, or your favourite open tuning, or just another genre, it's an ATTITUDE - it's all in the way you approach a song. I bet Hendrix or SRV (not my favourite musicians, but classy nonetheless) or BBKing or Derek Trucks could have taken/could take a nursery rhyme like "Mary Had A Little Lamb" and turned it into a blues classic....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

.... I bet Hendrix or SRV (not my favourite musicians, but classy nonetheless) or BBKing or Derek Trucks could have taken/could take a nursery rhyme like "Mary Had A Little Lamb" and turned it into a blues classic....

Vic

Surprise, surprise! :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaX7Y1GQl5w

which was a remake of a Buddy Guy classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSbO8sjm-gc

How did we survive without YouTube? :D

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I bet Hendrix or SRV (not my favourite musicians, but classy nonetheless) or BBKing or Derek Trucks could have taken/could take a nursery rhyme like "Mary Had A Little Lamb" and turned it into a blues classic....

Just a little Texas Blues Swing for the easy version. Found something that works in the Blues You Can Use book. I'll try to find an e-copy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaX7Y1GQl5w (Special thanks to, I think, Kent_eh for turning me onto it)

Basically, just a standard Blues progression. E7, A7, E7, B7, A7, E7

Edit: Dalron beat me to it. Had not seen the second one though. Thanks!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I could learn when the saints go marching in.....

Yes you could - but if you ever come to my little corner of the world , you'd better have it down perfect - St Helens Rugby League Club have that as a "theme song" and if you play it badly, well, lynching is probably the least painless option around here...I haven't dared play it yet....

Memo to Greybeard - I hate to rub this in, especially after the semi final last week (Saints beat Leeds - Greybeard's team) and Leeds losing again tonight to Warrington - but it looks like Saints are going to win another couple of trophies again this season - I know, I know, don't take anything for granted, but this year's been a bit unusual in that Saints have had to come from behind instead of making all the running - also unusual in that the injury list is less than a mile long, unlike Leeds' last week - didn't help that the mighty atom missed half the match, did it! And I still think whoever finishes top of the league at the end of the regular season should be crowned champions - all the play-offs are for is to make money.

My money's on Saints to be world champions again next February......

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3