Clear all

Learning Borg style

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

There has been many posts debating the benefit of learning to play by ear vs. using theory, "self taught" vs. hiring a teacher, etc. This is not one of them!!!!!!

I recently acquired the Fretboard logic series [see post in review of instructional material] and the author said something that got me thinking. -- The people that learn to play by ear and that are "self taught" actually learn by assimilation. That means they learn to create songs, chord progressions, or solos based on what they learn in other songs.

I see this everytime I go to band practice. My band's lead player will improvise a solo over something I play, and I can hear and see him playing in a minor scale, though I know he has no idea he is using a minor scale. He learned the sound of the scale by learning so many songs that use it. He knows the harmonic minor scale, but he calls it the Yngvey (sp.) scale because he learned it from his songs.

I'm not knocking him or anything. I've had college level theory and he plays way better than I do. However, he's played a lot longer and more consistent than me.

This post is offered merely to increase my post count. :wink: Seriously, I think it's important for people to realize that you can become a great player different ways. I think learning scales, keys, theory, etc. puts you in the ballpark a heck of a lot faster than learning by assimilation. Also, it's meant to show that you will learn music theory, scales, chords, etc. one way or another if you play guitar. You might not know you are learning it but you will learn it.

A lot of people unjustifiably critize people that learn theory and scales; saying they don't play with feeling, or they don't have creativity, etc. I ask you who is likely to be more original and more creative: the one who learns to play by copying others, or the one who learns to play by mastering the tools of the trade? People that learn to solo by learning scales will sound bland and "scaley" IN THE BEGINING!

Learning theory and scales merely allows you to play in key. I think we should talk about playing in key and out of key, instead of talking about playing right notes and wrong notes. The words right and wrong imply that learning theory causes you to play by certain rules and thus limits you somehow. Learning theory simply allows you to identify notes that are in key and those out of key. Notes out of key need to be handled differently. If you treat them the same, your playing will sound odd, mushy, bad, or whatever word you want to use. If you know how to use the out of key notes, your playing will sound more creative and colorful.

I think the bottom line is that we all learn from others and we all learn theory - whether we know it or not.