Clear all

Lowering Guitar Action

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@stjames1759)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm considering lowering the action slightly on my Taylor 310. What goes into making an adjustment like this? How is the guitar affected overall? Will there be a noticable difference in sound?

I want the action just a little lower, but I don't want to sacrifice sound quality in the process. Not sure if this is an adjustment I could make on my own either. I'm guessing it has to do with adjusting the truss rod.

Thanks,
Brett

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Adjusting the truss rod only adjusts the neck relief and has minimal impact on the action.

The action is adjusted by removing some material off the bottom of the bridge. Not an easy task and if you take too much off you will need to buy a new bridge or add shims to fix it. Take it to a shop tell them what you want and have it checked out and see what they recommend.

By the way, the lower you go on the action the lower the volume gets so be careful how far you take it. Plus you lose a little sustain

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

absolutely....but you can shave the saddle before you mess with the bridge.

If you want to experiment, go to stewmac or americanparts and get yourself a new saddle.

Measure it against the existing one, scribe a mark on it to make sure you sand evenly. Sand away, making sure to keep the saddle perpendicular to the sand paper.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I actually meant the saddle. Guess I should wake up before I type. :lol:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

IMPORTANT- If you decide to shave or sand the saddle down, sand the BOTTOM straight edge. Do not sand down the top.

I have done this several times and it is not difficult. Of course loosen all your strings to where they are very slack (or take them off). Take a pencil and run it along the bridge to mark the current depth. Put a piece of soft cloth over the saddle and GENTLY pull straight up with a pair of pliers. It should come out easily. Now simply rub the bottom straight edge back and forth on a piece of sandpaper taking note of how much material you are taking off. Try maybe 1/16" at a time. Make sure to hold the saddle square when you are sanding. Then put it back in and see how you like the action. Just don't get too greedy and sand off too much. You will get fret buzz. And as others said, it will change the sound, especially sustain.

If you mess up you can usually pick up a new saddle at most music stores for a few dollars.

Just take your time and go slow.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote