Clear all

MIM Strat

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

How do you identify a strat that was made in Mexico? Are certain types of strats made there or is it just the cheaper end strats?

Thanks.

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Usually the Fender "Standard Strat" models are made in Mexico, whereas the fancier more expensive "American Standard Strat" models are made in America. I think there are Japenese models as well but I could be wrong, in which case I don't know how you would tell a MIM strat from a strat that was made in Mexico.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

There are some points of differences -

1. The Price. American Strats (MIAs) are around 1000$, whereas Mexican Strat (MIMs) sell for 400 $ new.

2. The frets. MIA has 22 frets, whereas MIM has 21.

3. MIA has a 'hand rolled' neck, where MIM has not. This neck supposedly lets you glide fasters across the neck.

4 MIA comes with a hardshell case, whereas MIM does not.

5. On the headstock of an MIA, you won't see much. But on the headstock of an MIM, you will find 'Made in Mexico' clearly written.

These are some points to guide you. You can check the whole specifications from the Fender's website - http://www.fender.com/products .

Don't be misguided by the notion that MIMs are cheap knock offs. I have read that they are really good and sometimes rival the tones and playability of an MIA, especially when the price to quality ratio is compared.

Just go and play 'em out.

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Most of what Rahul stated is correct. A few additional details...

- Most of the USA bodies are made in the Mexican plant.
- Most USA standard models come with 22-fret necks and a two-point tremolo unit.
- The HIGHWAY ONE series is a USA model that comes with a 22-fret neck, vintage (6 screw) tremolo, and a gigbag
- USA strats range from $750 (Highway One) to $2000

Generally, the Mexican models are the ones you see with 21-frets and the vintage tremolos. There are some USA models with 21 frets and/or vintage tremolos, and those tend to be re-issues or signature models.

There are a few different lines for the Mexican models... the basic "standard strat" costs about $400 and is your basic strat. Then there are th various "re-issue" models (ie, 1950's re-issue, 1960's re-issue, etc) which range from $450 - 600. The Player's Deluxe model (not to be confused with the American Deluxe Series) has gold hardware and USA pickups. Those go for about $600 - 650. Then, of course, there are Signature MIM strats like the Robert Cray and Jimmy Vaughan guitars.

Anyway... the basics - look for a 21-fret neck and vintage tremolo. If it has both of those, chances are it is a MIM.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I have an MIM strat and I like it alot.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The number of frets isn't a sure way to tell - some American made Strats have 21 frets, and some foreign ones have 22.

But you can check the serial number - all Mexican serial numbers start with "M" followed by another letter. Serial numbers for US models can have just numbers, or letter(s) followed by numbers, but the US factory has never started a series with M.

If your guitar happens to have M followed by numbers (no second letter), it's Japanese - they built an M series in 1992 and 1993.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Be aware when purchasing used, that many "grey" market strats are foreign strats which have had American "looking" necks bolted to them.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Most of the USA bodies are made in the Mexican plant.

Really? That's hilarious! Whats next: An "(Assembled in America with parts built internationally) deluxe strat"?!?

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

In fact, I believe the Highway 1 strats are made from predominately imported materials and just "assembled" in Corona.

The guitar body thing in Mexico really isn't that big of a deal. All the bodies of major manufacturers are made using machines with very exact tolerences. I would suggest that the attention to deatil on the neck is probably more important than the body of a solidbody guitar like a strat or tele.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

As I am a highly biased MIA strat owner and also have a 71 strat....
I'll keep my opinions to myself this time. :twisted:

Here's something a bit more in depth about the differences - :wink:

http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthread.php?threadid=73845

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@itchard)
Trusted Member

Usually both the guitars have "Made in..." whatever country they're made in on the headstock under the Fender Stratocaster bit, no?

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

It will say made in Mexico and the serial number will start with an M.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. It sounds like it's pretty unanimous here that folks like these guitars. I haven't seen many negative comments from owners. I may be picking one up soon. I don't think my budget can handle an american.

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

As always, you get what you pay for.

On an acoustic guitar the cost for labor work can be a big part of the total manufacturings cost, but on a high volume electrical guitar most of the assembly/paint work is made in automatic equipment and therefore not a big difference on a Standard Strat from USA or Mexico.
The main difference is the cost for mechanical parts and pickups that Fender is buying from different sub contractors.
My guess is that it is the different type of pickups that makes the biggest differens in sound between a MIM and MIA standard strat.

And it is not the quality of the workers in a US, Mexican or Asian factory that set the quality of the products they make.
It is the quality levels that the company/management has defined for the product that sets the product quality.

It is possible to manufacture a low volume, high quality product in Mexico or Asia to a good price, but not possible to manufacture a high volume, low quality product in USA or in western Europe to a low price.

Kalle

PS, but sometimes you pay a lot extra for the company/brand name as the selling price is not defined of the manufacturing cost , but mostly of the possible market price of the product.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Yes, you are very right Kalle.

The big differences are that MIA strats have traditional pups in them (low winding/strong magnets that are the pole pieces)

While MIM pups LOOK like Fender SCs, except that they are made more like Gibbo pups in that they have a weak
magnet under the coil with slug pole pieces.

A huge sonic difference there.

Also in the bodies.

MIAs have solid non vaniered bodies in three pieces for solid colored Alder.
The translucent/transparent colored ash bodies are the more traditional 2 piece style.

MIMs have several piece 'bodies' that are then vaniered.

And, yes the necks are all the same... except that MIAs have a true adjusting system that allows both ways and have the
micro tilt adjust as well. And the frets are medium jumbos that are well dressed.

MIM necks only counter adjust against string tension. The frets are the vintage style (lower/flatter) ones that haven't
been dressed well at all.

MIAs have Polyurethane paint (a very durable catalized paint) and MIMs have polyester (which may flake off).

Then there is the hardware....

As far as not being able to afford a MIA goes - don't forget, you can always buy a used one, and get all that great Mojo
along with it 8)

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote