Notifications
Clear all

Muiscally sensless

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@yankos243)
Topic starter  

I have been playing for 3 years give or take on my own by books and the internet. I know the thoery behind chord making, chord progressions, and scales mainly minor pentatonic and major; but i still cant seem to make sense of my music. Its hard to explain but say i want to play the usual 1 4 5 chord progression. i get the chords for whatever key i want it to be in but like how can i make it a sweet rythm like a hendrix "little wing" rythm. How do i incorperate a decent solo that goes with the flow of the song??? Thanks to whomever will help.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

practice
experiment
learn everything you can
COPY or STEAL every riff, rhythm, melody, and chord progression you can from everyone you can from every instrument you can
practice more
learn scales
play around
pour your mind over your fretboard
practice more
groove

for more specific advice: learn latin, african, and hip hop rhythms. learn band rhythms, learn dance beats, learn cheerleader rhythms, learn jazz rhythms, learn folk rhythms, learn country rhythms, learn new orleans second-line rhythms, learn drum and bass rhythms, learn techno rhythms, learn some newer radiohead, learn stuff i can't think of, improvise

learn your minor and pentatonic minor, learn to bend notes, learn vibrato, learn blues riffs, learn country leads, learn jazz lines, learn tex-mex lines, learn rock riffs, metal riffs, punk riffs, alt riffs, folk riffs, learn stuff i can't think of, improvise

try to play, or at least play along with, everything

all this will take a while. make sure you have fun.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Good advice, Jason. +1 from me too.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Jam with other people too. Nobody ever came out of a Jam session a worse player than when they went in.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

all this will take a while. make sure you have fun.

Yes, good advice! I think the most important part is the last sentence.

Have fun :)

ReplyQuote