Clear all

musician to airline pilot

16 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Why do so many musicians, after reaching number one on the charts, go out and get their pilot's license?

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.
Harmonics - The buzzing sound that string instruments make.
Impromptu - A carefully worked out composition.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

What do you mean by your question.Perhaps explain a bit more.Seems kind of absurd

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Why do so many musicians, after reaching number one on the charts, go out and get their pilot's license?

Probably several reasons:

* It's a relatively expensive hobby, but suddenly an easily affordable one for the newly famous.

* Many performers are natural thrill seekers, and flying seems to be a natural for this type of person. (Actually, skydiving is a bigger rush. Flying is almost passive in comparison to many of the thrill sports, even "plain old" car racing.)

* They are tired of being bussed and flown on tour and wish to take a little control.

* It's a nice methaphor for (continued) success?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Cos it beats the heck out of sitting on the tour bus

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

But a tour bus beats the hell out of a 68 VW van carrying 6 band members and all the equipment

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

But a tour bus beats the hell out of a 68 VW van carrying 6 band members and all the equipment

... smells better too.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

They both probably reek of pot :D

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@sapho)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

For example, Dave from the songwriting duo Gary & Dave (Will I See You in September? '74) is currently a pilot for a Japanese airline. Diane Tell (a top Quebec singer/songwriter) flew planes in Africa. There are numerous examples of this phenomenon. If it's 'required behaviour' for a successful musician maybe I should begin to look into flying lessons. I haven't heard of that many musicians 'parachuting.' I'd rather stay inside the plane thank you. Being in control of an airplane seems daring enough for me.

Portamento - The ability to move from a wrong note to the right one without anyone noticing the original mistake.
Harmonics - The buzzing sound that string instruments make.
Impromptu - A carefully worked out composition.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Friend of mine - not a musician, but he's a good friend of Peter Gabriel's - has just forked out a heck of a lot of money for helicopter lessons... he says there's absolutely nothing like it....and even though he's minted/ loaded/ rich, he can't afford his own helicopter...he's getting a 1/4 share in one....

He's getting married later this year...and guess who's got an invite? Yep, me....and guess who's doing the music? Yep - Peter Gabriel!!! Can't wait to see PG landing on the roof of the Lowry Hotel in a helicopter....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@illicit)
Estimable Member

Also Bruce Dickinson, the lead singer of Iron Maiden still flies Boeing 747's.

Behold! The great northern viking's pinnacle of evolution! Behold my wavy blonde locks, my icy blue eyes and my muscular physique! Behold my.. screw this, I'm going to McDonald's.

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

i think vince neil flies a helicopter too.

ReplyQuote
(@illicit)
Estimable Member

Man, it would rock being on an airplane about to leave for a nice vacation just to hear "This is your captain, Bruce Dickinson, speaking on your flight to.."

Garanteed to improve any vacation by at least 200% in coolness.

Behold! The great northern viking's pinnacle of evolution! Behold my wavy blonde locks, my icy blue eyes and my muscular physique! Behold my.. screw this, I'm going to McDonald's.

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

i think vince neil flies a helicopter too.

but would you trust a member of motley crue as a pilot?!

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Steve Morse actually became an airline pilot for a few years.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

You have to look at it from the inspirational point of view. Flying that high or low, looking at what ever you want (literally, you ARE the pilot). I bet you can get a lot of inspiration flying a plane.

Get me in one, hell no!!! I'll drive, thank you very much!!!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2