Clear all

hearing loss

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

i woke up this morning (had them statesboro blues...sorry) and there was an intensly loud ringing sound in my ears. My ears had sounded clogged (like when you takeoff in a plane) but I didnt pay much attention to it. After this morning it was suddenly alot worse. The ringing (which is rather loud) is only in my right ear. I've read stuff and I'm thinking I might have tittinus (hearing loss associated with exposure to loud noises) but Im not sure from what. My guitar is never loud enought to cause discomfort in the first place. The same goes with my CD player. I take the subwya to downtown brooklyn everyday but the nosie lvl never affectred me before. What could the cause of this be? My hearing is clouded becuase my right ear is rather inoperational (to an extent) Even as I right this now, it's kinda quiet, and I can fel the strangeness of the loud ringing. It's been going non stop since I woke up. Webmd said that it could be a buildup of ear wax, but I cleaned my ears and that can't be it. Its currently 8 01 pm EST, and I am yet to see a doctor. Since I woke up and it was alot worse. Im pondering if I should sleep tonite. Can someone please help me out, it is really discomforting and I'm worried how this could affect my fuitar playing. (hearing wise) Im only 15 so it cant be a problem related to aging. and Im scared that it could be permanent. Can anyone please help me or suggest something? Im seeing the doctor about this tomorrow at 4pm EST.

Thanks, I appreciate anything I get from you guys, and I can only hope for the best.

(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

When I was a kid, I remember my father complaining about a similar ringing. This would happen to him every couple of years. Each time, despite how well my father cleaned his ears, the doctor was able to remove an amazing amount of wax. This wax build-up was deeper into his ear than my father could get.

I don't know what this condition was, only that it continued for about 10 years or so. I also don't recall what was ever done about it, but he hasn't had the problem in probably 20 years, so it must have worked.

hth

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If your not playing loud or listening to anything else loud it is more than likely not permanent. It could be something as simple as an ear infection or something like that. I have exposed my ear to a lot of loud everything over the years like music in the car, the house, concerts etc. and have nothing permanent. Ironically I get a little ringing in my right ear once in awhile but it is not related to loud noises since I actually have "low" blood pressure which I guess is a lot better than high.

Is there anything out of the ordinary from yesterday like sudden loud noises or anything like that? Slept on your ear? Got water in your ear?

Or it could simply be wax buildup that can not be removed with a Q tip and may need to be flushed out.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Good luck with this and if not sastified with the Doc ask for a second opinion. I do have a hearing loss, mine starts to roll at 6K and is gone by 12k. Sucks when you cannot hear you daughter talk as she is soft spoken. :( Mine was from noise exposure, jet engines and race cars, loud music. I would get ringing but this stopped. Then a scuba diving accident where I blew out my right ear cannal and now I suffer a loss that is worse when my sinus get clogged. What happens for me is my ear drum on the right collapses and does not move due to sinus congestion. Doc tells this by looking in my ears and then puffing the drum with air. Left is great, right does not move. Decongestants clear this up for me. THere is hope and more likely you will get results today. If you are worried about the level, ask the Doc.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@xdamnablex)
Eminent Member

Just lay yourself down on the couch and fill you ear with hydrogen peroxide. That'll help loosen some, if not all of the gunk.

Yeah I have experienced loss of hearing from colds. I hate those days in the winter when I have to put down my guitar until my cold clears up. Any cold medicine with Ephedrine or Pseudo-ephedrine listed as one of the ingredients. NOTE: Consult with ur doctor before using any medicine. The cold medicine does help dry up your sinuses but it makes u drowsy. If I were you I'd just go and get the stuff for asthma. It's pure ephedrine. You can get this stuff at gas stations. Here's a common brand: http://www.dmdpharm.com/ephed_plus.html

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A Q-tip will not remove wax from an ear canal. It acts like a ramrod, packing the wax down against the eardrum.

My left ear periodically collects enough wax to plug up, and it is a distressing feeling. You'd think "I've got two ears, I'll hear with the other," but it seems like you can't hear for crap with one plugged.

There are commercial drops made for earwax removal that soften it up. They're sold over the counter at drug stores and are pretty cheap. They contain some organic peroxide, I forget exactly which. I've never found hydrogen peroxide very helpful. If I use the wax softening drops for several days and then let the shower head squirt right in my ear, it flushes it out beter than I can do with the bulb syringes they sell in earwax removal kits. But I've had to get mine flushed out by a nurse with a hand pump with a jet tip several times, and for the most stubborn cases an experienced doctor will have to dig it out with a metal instrument. Very uncomfortable, and very hazardous in unskilled hands. Don't try it with bobby pins, etc.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

i have a big update (you were right ricochet)

wednesday, after school, I went to the doctor's office with nothing ut a ringing ear. However, before i went in, as i picked my head up, everything suddenly seemed dizzy and nauseating. As I tried to walk to hos office, i almsot fell, i couldnt walk straight. The docotor told me to lie still while my parents came to take me the hospital. Waiting for them was 1.5 hours of he** (can i say that here) i had to keep my head straight. In the hospital, i vomited 3x before i was in a hospital bed. After the docotr checked me out, it turns out I had fluid stuck in the middle ear from a recent cold that closed a tube connecting ear to the nose. Thats causing the ringing and dizziness (which was a bad case of vertigo). He told me to take some anti-hestamines (most allergy medicins)

Now, a couple of days later, the ringing is gone, and im back to rockin'
Thanks to everyone for your help

ReplyQuote
(@jetsolo)
Estimable Member

Buy a wax cleaning kit for ears at the pharmacy. That is what the ringing noise is.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Very interesting blackzerogsh,

Glad you got it all sorted out.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Glad to hear it was nothing permanent. Welcome back..

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, glad you got straightened out!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Glad to hear you made out well!