Clear all

What a Night!!! - part 2

17 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Just this minute got in from the pub....it's the second time I've been there now, just a bunch of guy - geezers if you like! - playing a bunch of oldies...the standard is pretty good which is at least 4 or 5 levels above average where I'm currently at....I've been recently promoted from mediocre.....

Two things I've been told tonight that give me hope that one day I'll be good.....One guy said "you're a really good rhythm guitarist...." another guy said "you've really added something to this group....you are stretching us, because you know a million songs.....you're making us learn new stuff instead of the same 10-12 songs we've been playing every week..."

and tonight, even playing along with songs I didn't know that well, I was able to get my chord changes in on time by watching other people's fingering....I really, really concentrated, found I could do it!!!!

The only thing that brought me back down to earth was when they played a couple of CS&N songs...two of the guys in particular were so good, they lost me on about the third change....times like that, you realise how far you've go to go and how much you have to learn....

But I even managed to play along with "Helpless" even though I don't know the song that well....and "Heart of Gold" even though I do...the acknowledged leader of the group is a fantstic guiarist, a really good harmonica player and a huge Neil Young/ Dylan fan.....

So now I'm back home, feeling really pleased with myself for once...I played a few songs I knew, sang my head off, didn't disgrace myself... the Mrs came in after a night out at Bingo, even she was impressed... and I got to play" 3 Steps to Heaven" for her....her favourite song, 2 0f the guys joined in with me on rhythm, another guy played a nice lead (slide) line - and she loved it!!!!!

The one thing I've been asking her about for the last few weeks...said my poor little Encore (which she bought me when I was totally broke, I'll never EVER get rid of that guitar for sentimental reasons....) looked a bit sad amongst the Fenders, Martins, Epiphones and Takamines....she's actually given me permission to spend some of my money on an upgrade....so I'm on the lookout for a new acoustic, might just splash out on something really nice.....

But on the other hand, it ain't what you got it's the way that you play it - and boy was I pleased with myself tonight!!!!!!!

Sorry if I'm rambling, but I'm still on an adrenaline high....it's absolutely tru what certain people have said on these forums, nothing -NOTHING!!! beats playing live ..............

Still buzzing,

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Vic

(It'd take at least 10 lemons to wipe this stupid grin off my face!!!!)

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I wouldn't worry about the rambling - a night like that deserves it. Especially those comments - its gotta feel good!

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Sorry if I'm rambling, but I'm still on an adrenaline high....it's absolutely tru what certain people have said on these forums, nothing -NOTHING!!! beats playing live ..............
The only things that beats playing live is being alive and there is nothing that makes you feel more alive then playing live. Well actually I can come up with a few more things but hey this is a guitar forum.

Sounds like you had a great night but I have one question? Lager, Ale or Bitter?

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I did post a reply, wasn't sure if it'd get through....free ads and all that...obviously it didn't........

Give you a clue, Danish Lager, their name is written on Liverpool's football shirt....begins with C, ends in G and somewhere in the middle there are the letters A, R, L, S, B, E and R......not necessarily in that order if you've had a few.....!!!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Carlsberg -- Hmm, seems to post okay

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

congrats on the great time! Good luck on the search for a new guitar!

John M

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Dude congrats!!! I'm only about 2-4 weeks away from playing at Antones with my band! :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Sounds it must have been great night on the pub, wish I had been there...

Had a little of that last weekend when the family had meeting with my sisters familys.
I took my guitar, my daughters wood fluit and some notes to the gathering.
After the dinner and some drinks we was gathering around the coffe table and started to play and sing some old tunes.
Me playing compguitar and the daughter playing lead on the fluit ( she can play from notes, not me) and the other singing.
And the funny thing was that after some tunes I found that my singing was not that bad when I dared to sing out loud.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

hmmm....just had a thought....it's my birthday a week on Sunday, might ask the lads from the pub round for a BBQ and a jam.....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Vic,
Congrats! Sounds like you've caught the bug! Life will never be the same now, you know! 8)
Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Life will never be the same again? Thank (insert deity of your choice here) for that!!!!!

Really is a blast though....I'm possibly the worst musician there, but the guys are so friendly....AND helpful....I can learn a lot from them!!!!

I really need to learn Norwegian Wood properly though....the version I worked out myself didn't really gel with the way the other guys played it... everyone slammed a capo on at the 3rd fret, startd with an E chord...
I usually play it in E anyway, I dunno what happened, but I just sounded all at sea in that one song....gave it up as a bad job by the 2nd verse and just sang along.....

Ah well....at least I've got next tuesday to look forward to.... and you never know, there's always the Newton Music Festival.....

http://www.festival2003.freeserve.co.uk/info.htm

maybe next year....I have a goal, I have a dream...ah the hell with maybe, I AM GONNA DO IT!!!!!

and travelling won't be a problem...the festival is approx 5 mins walk away from my house

And next week In the Vic, I'll take the camera....try and get a couple of video clips as well.....

Oh yeah - yoyo286, good luck mate....keep my fingers crossed for you...let us know how it goes!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

(still can't wipe that smile off my face!!!!)

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I know what you mean about the adreniline high Vic, my band played the Bolder Boulder Monday and I am still grinning ear to ear. One of the highlights was a woman in her mid-60's I would guess, stopping her run to boogie to Takin care of Business. Bass player and I almost lost it completely watching this blue-haired lady shaking her groove thang to a BTO cover. Even though it is a 10K race we had a group of about 100-150 people crammed into every space possible listening to us.
My band was also chosen as one of the bands that has an original song on the cd they produce every year.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

good for you Teleplayer....I love "Taking care of Business!!!" - if I'd been there you'd have laughing at me instead....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Things just keep on getting better.....one of the lads who goes in the pub, it turns out, is one of the organisers of the Newton Music Festival....and he said to me tonight, "we're having an acoustic stage this year....fancy it?"

plan is, the whole gang of us who go in the pub Tuesdays, get together and do 3, maybe 4 songs....I suggested "Bad Moon Rising", that went down well...."Here comes the Sun" was a pretty popular suggestion, but I'm not too happy with that yet...."Mr Tambourine Man" was suggested, I can live with that.....only 3 chords.....

But what the hell, I can always learn "HCTS"....I'll have to practise it in Texas though!!!!

Vic

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Vic, you are on a roll! Go dude go and good luck!

John M

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2