Skip to content
recording troublesh...

Notifications
Clear all

recording troubleshooting/ fried soundcard?

14 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

i think i may have fried my sound card........................:( but im not sure and i was distinctavly being very careful...heres wat happend:

i got a 1/4 to 1/8 inch apadter so i can plug line in straight from my guitars into my sound card. i was recording music at a high quality for a few days....today i was recording i went to record a new track and it wouldnt record anymore....the program said it was recording but no more waves were showing...i have a soundblaster audigy soundcard...is ther any test that i can do to find out if i fried this thing....or is there anything else that could have gone wrong...i no its not the electronics in the guitar because they are amplified when plugged into an amp....any ideas? the other reason that leads me to blieve its not the card is that music still plays i just cant record so maybe i friend half the card the input half (is this even possible?)

$MAX$

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I deal with Sonar4 so take this with a grain of salt as it might not apply to you but, everytime before I record, I need to select my input (sound card) and then "arm" the track/midi/audio before I can record. Do you have to do that? And....... did you do that?

If I remember correctly, everytime I reboot my pc, I have to re-select my input.

Just a thought.

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

yes with cakewalk i have to select my source and yes i have to arm the track (s) i want to record onto.....still nothing :(

thanks tho tracker

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

yes with cakewalk i have to select my source and yes i have to arm the track (s) i want to record onto.....still nothing :(

thanks tho tracker

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Did you check your pc and/or soundcards mixer? Check your input.

I'm at work right now. I'll see if I can help you more when I get home.

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

soundcard mixer? my sound card is a creative i have a program called "creative surround mixer" but when i checked with that the line is was turned on...so it was enabled...

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

O.k. try this...........right click the "speaker" in your task bar, click "open volume control" and make sure your not muted there..........

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Sorry, but i think you fried it, the preamp at least, did the same thing to my soundcard, luckily mine was just a cheap onboard soundcard. I could still listen to music, just couldn't record.
Line level signal is an already amplified signal. The signal used for recording is not line level, it is a very weak signal. The preamp in the soundcard amps this signal up to line level (i think its up to line level, not totally sure, but i do know that it makes it much louder at least). If you put the line level signal in the there, the preamp in the card amps that already loud/strong signal much louder (like 100x), or at least tries to, and, well, boom...
I'm surprised that you said your card lasted a few days. Mine was screwed up right from when I first tried it, but mine also was just a cheap soundcard that came on the motherboard.

This is why you should never take the line out of an amp and connect that to the input of another amps head. The same thing will happen.

Thanks to undercat for enlightening me on all of this information in an earlier thread, I hope I got all of it correct.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

not muted :( for recording or for listening...gess it must be blown

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

not muted :( for recording or for listening...gess it must be blown

I was hoping it wouldn't come down to that but, unfortunately, you need to go and get a new/better soundcard.

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

what type of card can handle this.....and with no problem because i dont want something that might be able to handle it and then it gets fried....and wat price am i looking at?

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

If you're going in with the express purpose of recording guitar, you can skip the soundcard worries and get something precisely for the purpose of capturing your guitar sound, something that would have the appropriate converters and pre's already loaded. The Line6 GuitarPort for example, comes to mind. I believe it actually goes into your USB port, so there's no worries about blowing anything up.

Here's some words to search for, enter into google and prepare to expand your mind!

Breakout box
Guitar Port
Recording interface
USB recording interface
Firewire recording interface
Creative Soundcard
Digidesign M-Box

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

hey thanks.....i think i may have found something maybe you could check it out for me

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10034877&catid=

it would solve my sound card woes and my recording woes......what do you think?

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

i think this one is even better

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=204&product=4925

its pricy tho....299 US...wat do u think

$MAX$

ReplyQuote